Chapter 19: The Pool

(Lol. When I wrote this chapter in January, my phone was having some strange existential crisis, and it would randomly die on me, lose its battery life rather quickly, and not charge. This led to me getting a new phone. There were a LOT of grammatical errors in this chapter, and I don't know if it was because of my old phone issue or what. But if you catch any errors, please let me know! I am DEFINITELY not the best proofreader.....)

The pool in the afternoon was crazy.

Even though this place probably costs a fortune to stay at, there were a lot of people here. Adults were everywhere in the pool and kids were running around, screaming as much as they could. The lifeguard at the big pool didn't even seem to care about the commotion—she just sat patiently on her lifeguard chair and stared at the thousands of people in the pool.

I tried to get in the pool, but first, I wanted to check the water temperature. I was just about to dip my big toe in the water to feel the temperature until I felt someone touch me on my back. I turned around and saw Maverick standing there, looking calm.

"Can—can I swim with you for a bit?" He stuttered a bit.

He seemed nervous about asking me, but why wouldn't I accept his offer?

"Of course!" I said, "I wanted someone to swim on with me, anyway!"

"That's good to hear," said Maverick. "Have you checked the temperature yet?"

"I was just about to. Do—do you want to try it out first?"

"Naw, ladies first."

Ladies first? Who even does that now these days?

"Umm... thanks!" I said cowardly.

So I took my big toe and dipped it in the water. Something about the water made the pool... warm. A relaxing warm... this was definitely the perfect pool temperature.

I stepped down into the pool by using the pool stairs and I got my body into the warm water.

"I guess it feels fine?" Said Maverick.

"It feels warm!" I replied. "Come in!"

Maverick nodded, and carefully stepped into the pool. His mouth opened a little as he felt the warm water. He seemed to blow some air and whistle a little as he floated towards me.

"It does feel warm!" He observed. "Perfect!"

"It feels warm?!" Slider called to us from the other side of the pool.

"Yes! Come on in!" I called back, gesturing for him to jump in.

Slider suddenly screamed "CANNONBALL!"and dived into the pool. Iceman and Merlin followed him. Maverick and I watched patiently as everyone jumped in. Suddenly, a strange thought came into my mind.

I wasn't just watching everyone dive in; I was also listening to the relaxing 80s music playing from the radio (which was somewhere, and the music was coming out of speakers around the pool). I recognized the song. It was Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now by Starship (great song btw), and something about that song made me want to dance. I stared at an area of the pool where a couple was swimming and doing some dance moves at the same time. That was when I got my peculiar idea.

"Isn't it nice out here?" Maverick asked quietly. We were leaning up against the edge of the pool and listening to the sounds of everyone having fun.

"I guess," I mumbled.

There was a moment of silence between us until Maverick spoke up.

"Ya know, I'm getting married in less than two weeks," he said quietly, "and I know I love Charlie. But there's—there's something about you..."