Chapter 24: I've Recovered, Haven't I?

I woke up in the morning, reminiscing about what happened last night. Maverick and I finally kissed! It was like a dream come true. Well, it basically was, but it was more like it.

I smiled as I sat up in bed and stretched my arms and legs. I couldn't stop thinking about Maverick. He was indeed handsome, and a great pilot. The only problem?

He wasn't in my room.

I figured after last night, he would probably stay in my room. But he wasn't anywhere to be seen.

Except for the note he left for me on the nightstand.

It took me some time to realize that he left a note for me. It didn't even look like a note; it was a note that was inside a paper airplane that Maverick made himself. Where did he get the paper for it? How did Maverick make it without me noticing? I'm not sure. But I still wanted to scrutinize it.

I grabbed the paper airplane and stared at it for a little. Maverick did a great job creating the airplane; it was delicate and smooth. I then spotted a piece of paper stuck inside a small hole in the paper airplane. I pulled it out and unfolded it to reveal Pete's letter. It read this:

Dear Madison,
I had to leave for work again. I'll be back sometime around four. Please don't follow me this time. I'm convinced that you're there for me. You don't have to go everywhere now.
I love you. You always brighten my day and you always bring a smile on my face. And that's classified. See you later.
Lots of love,
Pete.

I smiled. I placed the note up against my heart and stared at the ceiling dreamily. My idea actually worked! Not in the way I wanted it to work, but it was still successful. Now, Maverick loves me. And he's so hot... I could think about him for years and never get tired of him.

I had a feeling I didn't have to travel to Miramar so many times anymore because of what happened. I only have two days left here in Miramar, anyway. And then I wasn't going to come back until the wedding.

The wedding of Maverick and Charlie.

That didn't sound right. I know I'm crazy, but I want the bride of the wedding to be me. That, of course, is never going to happen.

Never.

"Crash and burn, sweetheart?"

I jumped as I heard a sudden voice come from my bathroom. Suddenly, Maverick emerged from it. He was all dressed and ready to go to work. Why was he here in my hotel room? How could he even get in?

"Pete! What are you doing here?!" I said cowardly.

"Oh, I just wanted to surprise you this morning," he replied.

"How did you even get in here?"

"Oh, I asked Charlie for her extra key card she has for your room. I lied to her that I had to use your toilet because mine was clogged. That was stupid, but at least she fell for it!"

I laughed. "Oh, Maverick! You always crack me up!"

Maverick gravitated towards my bed. "How many times do I have to say call me Pete?!" He said.

I laughed again, and so did Pete.

"I'm just joking, you can call me Pete or Maverick or whatever you want to call me! Just make sure it's not a derogatory name."

I laughed as Maverick leaned over and gave me a kiss on my cheek. I was really happy, and Pete was glad to see that.

"I had the best night of my life last night all because of you!" I observed. Maverick laughed again.