Chapter 10: Sweet Child of Mine

Nighttime came quicker than ever. It was already 8:30 at night, and Maverick was waiting for his fiancé to arrive at the bar. The bar was already busy; there was a band there, and it attracted a lot of townsfolk. And the band there pretty much knew every song in the world. Someone would walk up to the band and ask them to play a song. Then, that person would have the permission to sing the song as the band played it in the background. Some people decided to sing songs that Maverick couldn't stand, and it was a painful wait for Charlotte to arrive.

"Mr. Sandman, bring me a dream..." some woman sang as Maverick moaned and waited even longer for Charlotte to arrive. He'd never seen so many people at the bar, and it wasn't fun. At least it wasn't 2020, and no Coronavirus was spreading (well, maybe, idk). But it still felt like a whole other planet in the bar.

"Hey, Maverick! My star customer!" A bartender walked up to Maverick, looking cheerful. "May I fix you a drink?"

"Eh, sure... I'll take a glass of Summer Shandy," said Maverick.
(My dad: whoop whoop!)

The bartender nodded. "You don't look so happy," he said before walking away to get Maverick's beer. "Where's Charlotte? Is something wrong?"

"No, I'm just waiting for Charlotte. She's kinda late today. Also, I'm having problems with a freaking Florida girl, so I'm just going through hard times."

"A Florida girl? Ha!" The bartender laughed. "Who here in California could fall in love with a girl from the other side of the country?"

"I don't know. But please bring me my drink!" Maverick demanded. The bartender didn't say another word. He just nodded, and walked away to get Maverick's beer.

Maverick was probably waiting for ten minutes for Charlotte to arrive. Finally, after those ten minutes, Maverick saw the door open, and saw the figure of the beautiful blonde-haired girl he loved more than anything. Charlie was finally here.

Thank God... Maverick thought.

"Hey, Lieutenant!" Charlotte said as she ran up to Maverick's bar chair. She sat on the empty chair next to him. "Sorry I'm late, I couldn't find my wallet for a split second. Also, I got stuck in traffic!"

"Well, we should be glad you're at least here, but hello," Maverick replied quietly.

"What's going on here?" Charlotte was looking around the bar. "There's a lot of people here. And a lot of obnoxious music!"

"Band here tonight," Maverick answered quietly.

"What's wrong with you?" Charlotte asked. "You sound... depressed."

"Oh, nothing. It was just a long and painful wait for you to arrive, ya know..."

"Okay, I can understand that. Sorry, Lieutenant."

And so Maverick and Charlie had a nice date at the bar. They kept on hitting on each other (especially in the bathroom) and they drank a lot of beer or wine. Eventually, when most people left the bar, some people there who were kinda old started singing great (actually great) songs from the 80s. That was when, finally, Maverick and Charlotte were having their moments.

"Take me to bed or lose me forever..." Charlotte whispered to Maverick. Maverick laughed, smiled, and planted a kiss on Charlie's lips. "Of course I will," he said.

All of a sudden, the person who was singing was done with her song, and no one was coming up to the stage to sing another song. Maverick felt like singing to Charlotte so he could impress her, so he figured this is his shot.

"Hey, want me to sing a song for you?" He asked Charlotte. She smiled and nodded. "Absolutely!" She said.

So Maverick ran up to the stage and told the band that he wanted to sing next. The guy that played the guitar nodded. "And what do you want to sing, mister?" He said.