Chapter 21: Falling

Once I saw Maverick making his way towards the pool, I dashed towards him. The evening was nearing, and I had to show Maverick how much I improved in volleyball before the day was over. I've been waiting for him for almost three and a half hours, and I couldn't stand waiting anymore.

"Maverick!"

Maverick's head jolted upward once he heard my call from the volleyball court. He saw me jumping up and down and waving my arms, trying to get his attention. He was too far away to say something to me, so he just waved instead.

"I'm coming!" He screamed.

As I saw him approach me, I realized he wasn't alone. Iceman, Slider, and Merlin were following him. I even saw Goose following the pack! Thinking of our volleyball game yesterday, I figured this could help us start our new, improvised game.

Once Maverick and his friends reached me, I felt butterflies flutter in my stomach. I blushed as Maverick smiled at my appearance.

"What do ya want, sweetheart?" He asked.

"Oh, umm..." I shuddered. I was nervous about asking Maverick if we could play volleyball again, mostly because Iceman was giving me his mean stare again. I had a feeling if I asked Maverick if we could play volleyball again, Iceman and Slider would start laughing at me. I bit my lip in worry and started shivering.

"You nervous? Don't worry," said Goose. "Mav here won't laugh. Maybe Slider would, but I'll stop him."

I finally couldn't resist the urge to ask Maverick about our improvised volleyball game. So I sucked it up and told him.

"I was wondering if we could play volleyball again."

Slider luckily heard Goose's remark, and he held in his laughter instead of letting it out. His face slowly became tomato red, and tears were starting to form in his eyes. I sighed, knowing I made a very embarrassing suggestion, but Maverick seemed to be fine.

"Why, sure!" He conceded. "You trained any?"

(Okay so I'm watching the Super Bowl while writing this and it's my fault the Buccaneers are winning rn. I thought to myself "oh my this might be Tom Brady's first game where he wouldn't score a touchdown in the first quarter!" And I haven't even finished my sentence and guess what? HE SCORED A TOUCHDOWN. So yeah, I jinxed it. My fault guys, I'm sorry.
Also if a trailer for Top Gun Maverick comes on during the game I swear to God—)

"In fact, I've been practicing my skills while you guys were at training! And trust me, I've improved. Trust me."

Slider suddenly couldn't hold in his laughter anymore, and he burst out laughing. His raucous, boisterous laughter was loud enough to make the people sitting in the bleachers by the court cover their ears in agony. I sighed again. This really is a bad idea.

"You sure you've improved?!" Slider laughed.

"I'm very sure." I said without stuttering.

(Disclaimer: there was no Top Gun commercial for 2021. I'm sad.)
(And yes, it's my fault stupid Tom Brady won. No not you Iceman)

"Well, I hope you're telling me the truth," Iceman sneered. "I don't want to stand here and watch you do the Y.M.C.A for hours again."

"Alright, we've got time, so let's play, boys!" Maverick exclaimed. "This time, let's see if Maddie is actually better than before!"

And so I followed Maverick and his friends onto the sandy volleyball court. I got on Maverick's team on the left side of the court and Iceman and his buddies were on the other side of the court. The men carefully took their shirts off (except for Goose; he claimed that he doesn't like to play volleyball with his shirt off) and stretched themselves. I did my own stretches until Maverick said "Okay, we're ready!"