Chapter 5 - Everyone's Here

(A/N: I wanted to apologize for the late upload, I had another bad writers block. And on top of that, mental health went on the decline again per usual, and I had some irl things to take care of. But my life finally feels like it's going in the right direction for the first time in like more than a decade. I'm unsure when the next chapter will be uploaded, but I will try my hardest to try and get it uploaded sooner than later. Anywho! I hope you guys enjoy chapter 5 of Ascension <3 It's probably one of the longest chapters I wrote so far, heh ^^' enjoy!)

Entry 6. 30XX.

Finally it was done. With the last 2 woken up, I started to try and fit together more puzzle pieces. Writing in this exact journal day by day. The girl who had flooded the hospital's name was Morgan. And the last kid's name was Alejandro, who had caused a huge blackout in the entire city. Poor kid didn't remember anything but coming home from school and then darkness and screams. The thing that got me the most was the fact he was only 9... In my opinion, he was too young to have suffered like that. One thing was for certain though: we weren't the same kids that we'd been before we came into the hospital. Mentally. Some of us physically. We would never be the same, either. This was our new life... And it sucked. But we did what we could.

Sorry, I'm rambling. Anywhom we were special, more or less. Like how people refer to kids with ADHD as 'gifted' or whatever except this felt more like a curse. Once I had figured that out, I started to test out my theory of the whole 'having powers,' thing. Needless to say it was true, but I was the only one that could get it to work then and there. It took so much energy from my body. The physical exhaustion from getting it to work was enough to make me pass out cold for an hour or two. Sometimes more. The nurses had started to get worried when I was sleeping in til the afternoon but otherwise, didn't seem bothered.

After a few days of us getting to know one another, It was time. I headed down the elevator to the cafeteria, playing with the hospital bracelet on my wrist. We had been here for almost a year. My birthday was in a few weeks, and the idea of turning 13 was practically unfathomable. Thoughts of plenty swam around in my mind as I walked out of the elevator and towards the cafeteria, grabbing my tray of food and sitting down where Leah, Morgan and Nikita were already sitting, eating their food.

"Well good afternoon, sleepy head." Leah half joked and she scrolled through something on her phone. What it could have been was beyond me since we were not allowed to use any social media, to keep us from "getting ptsd from what happened," according to nurse Megan. Though I called her bullshit. Probably another lie they made up.

I stuck my tongue out at her and then sighed. Nikita chuckled softly while Morgan just slapped the back of Leah's head. "I was doing more practice last night but... I'm not too sure my body can handle it." I explained, talking a bit quiet so no one else but them heard.

"You really think it's true? That we became some type of superheroes because of this whole thing?" Nikita asked as he moved his food around his tray with his fork, just playing around with it. He looked up at me and shrugged as I gave him a little bit of a glare. "It just... seems a little far fetched. That's all."

"If I can do it, and you set your house on fire? It's the only logical option. Besides, think about what happened with both Leah and Morgan when they woke up. The girl flooded the hospital, Nik." I pointed out, looking at him then to my food and taking a bite. "If that doesn't scream powers," I said, making quotation marks with my fingers. "Then I don't know what to do."

"I think the most important thing for us to do is to get the hell out of here. Before they can do any weird experiments on us." Morgan said softly, her irish accent heavy since she was talking a bit quieter than normal. "God knows what they'll do to us if we don't."

Kibwe and Alejandro then came into the cafeteria, sitting down at the table, talking about something. "Sorry we're late, I was showing Alex around." Kibwe said, the two of them chuckling.

"We were just talking about how the hell we're gonna... Ya know." Morgan shrugged. "You didn't miss much. Just adult shit."

"Technically the only 'adults' here are myself and Nikita." I gently corrected her.

We were all mature for our age. I was only twelve, unfortunately the oldest. Nikita and Morgan were eleven, Kibwe and Leah were ten, and little Alejandro was nine. I was definitely the MORE mature one but. Do what you gotta do. To protect the ones you love and care for.

There was then a loud rumble of thunder outside. Kibwe and Alejandro jumped in their seats, startled. We all glanced outside the big glass window that lined the one wall of the cafeteria. The sky was partly cloudy, no signs of rain on this side, at least. I frowned. Only way to see if there was raining was to go to the roof-top garden. I guess everyone had the same idea as me cause we all hurried to the stairs. We were halfway up when Megan and Agent Hawthorne ran into us.