Unexpected Encounter

Chapter-13
No one saw this comin...

•|Unexpected Encounter|•

They mages were standing in front of ruins, another attraction of Galuna Island. They were scattered over a large area, but the main sight was a part of it that looked like a pyramid. A pyramid with flat roof. It was really damaged and old.

Ultear was waiting for them there. Not exactly waiting actually. She was humming a soft tune, lost in her own world. She wasn't in a mood to greet anyone.

"The stars make up for a great view." Ultear says looking at the starry sky, her hands were joined. She was not concerned about anything.

Just opposite of Jellal's current attitude. He really was anxious.

Meredy walks towards Ultear as Jellal now starts to walk towards the ruins. Lucy, confused by contrary attitudes of Ultear and Jellal towards the ruins, decides to follow Jellal for now. She knew that Loke, Elvira and Happy will follow her where ever she goes.

She was right.

Jellal stopped on the entrance to the ruins with Fairytail. Ultear and Meredy were standing far behind, not following him. It seemed that they were least interested to visit the ruins again.

Jellal looked tired as he entered the ruins. The others follow him hesitantly. It was dark inside. Jellal looked at his shoulder to get a brief glance at his followers, turns out they looked doubtful and hesitant.

He sighs and turns around. They still weren't in the pitch darkness of the ruins but were standing on the entrance, where moonlight was still lighting their faces.

"Why are you looking so gloomy?" He asked. Everyone breaks the eye contact except Lucy. She boldly replies, "Why is Ultear-San acting as if this was not much important? The village chief really had his hopes up when we left but seems that it is nothing special."

Jellal looks at Ultear and Meredy. He wanted to say something, but changed his mind halfway. He closed his mouth and shook his head.

"Never mind them." He says walking inside, gesturing others to follow him. The others shrugs and did as he wanted.

Jellal used his heavenly body magic. He was able to produce light to walk safely in the dark by making a small luminous ball on his fingertip. Lucy wanted to show-off in terms of producing light, but was late. It was just like the time with Erza, except this time she wasn't even able to draw out her key.

The hallway led to a staircase. It stretched till the roof. Everyone except Jellal looks at it in disbelief. The staircase was really long... are they going to walk all the way up?

"Eh-" Loke was about to ask but Jellal continues to walk, ignoring him. He sighs and follows him. Getting left behind in this creepy place was worse.

The journey in the ruins was scary too. Spider webs and a lot of mosquitoes ruled over a vast territory. It was really itchy for Lucy, who was wearing shorts.

•••

At last they were on the last staircase, the staircase that ended up on the roof. The walk till here was... annoyingly slow paced.

The group could see light entering from a small entrance to the roof. It was shining brightly, even though it was night. The ruins were just this much dark.

Naturally, their pace increased. But Jellal stopped right before exiting the staircase, making everyone behind him tumble into each other.

His face was tense. The small luminous ball he made with his magic sublimed in the air.