Part 17: Bonds

The next few days Kat's mother disapproved of hers keeping any contact with the Jeon's family until Jessica's marriage which resulted in many of his apology letters being returned right away.
Katherine found solace in that too. She wished to regress her memory so much that she was ready to erase the beautiful part of her life she spent with him.

On the other hand, right after ascertaining the truth behind the rumors, Mingyu set forth to see his fiance's family, but more importantly, Katherine.

Ever since the day at Hilton Ball, he noticed a certain change in his friend's behavior which he confirmed by Wonwoo's stressed state, the night Katherine lost her whereabouts

Ever since the day at Hilton Ball, he noticed a certain change in his friend's behavior which he confirmed by Wonwoo's stressed state, the night Katherine lost her whereabouts. Despite Mrs. Jeon's adamance, he wished to see Kat and Wonwoo together even if it hurt his precious cousin. He knew she could find a better man, but was certain that wonwoo would never love anyone as much as he loves Katherine, if he does for that matter.

Mingyu reached Berkley to ask for Wonwoo's accompaniment to the Daringhart lodge and apologise for his mother's rudeness. As they were about to leave, Mrs. Jeon barged in on them and denied of Wonwoo leaving the house. Even after Mingyu lied about being bad at navigation and needing Wonwoo's company to visit a nearby estate, she wouldn't breach upon her orders.
Mingyu could tell of her vexation when Junhui agreed to come with him; not even wonwoo dared to stop him, instead gave a pat on Jun's shoulder with the longest face he could ever make.

The two men set off towards the town on horseback. They passed similar sceneries and soon reached their destination.
Jessica was bittersweet about Mingyu's arrival with one of the Jeon's until Junhui introduced himself as a Wen.
Katherine couldn't keep her head high in front of Jun anymore. She knew she already hurt him by her oblivious rejection and the fact that he still cared about her made a pang of guilt blossom in her heart.
Nevertheless, the men talked to Kat privately to hear her side of the story and got to know that she truly loves their friend. Even Mingyu prioritised Kat's matter instead of having a usual conversation with Jess.

Katherine couldn't put into words, the hurt she felt because of Mrs. Jeon. She even admitted that Wonwoo was helpless as well since it concerned his mother. Junhui pointed out Wonwoo's ever so obedient disposition which has always tied him to his mother with an obligatory leash.
While Mingyu wished to make Wonwoo realize his own feelings, Jessica interrupted their conversation with a bunch of letters in her hand.

"There are the letters you seldom read. Letters from Jeon Wonwoo.", Jess hesitantly hands over the five to six letters to the trio.

"Read them", Mingyu said.

Many a colors decided to yeet off of Kat's face as she read the letters one by one wherein Wonwoo had described every little detail of his encounter with the lady.
How his Prejudice of Katherine being overly proud of herself was crushed to crumbles the night they danced together. That was where Wonwoo realized he had developed budding feelings for Katherine.
How he eagerly wished for Kat to stay at Mingyu's house that night and how worried did he got when she was nowhere to be found.
Even admitted to the jealousy he felt towards Junhui whenever he talked to girl he loved.
All until the last day, after when Kat decided not to reply to his letters anymore, life felt meaningless to him.

Gradually as Kat read his heartfelt words, her eyes gave in to the moist tears which now escaped her dry eyes. Jun's heart wrenched at the sight of Katherine crying but all he could do was watch her pour her feelings out for the man she so dearly loves.
Jun silently smiled at his heart being silly enough to think she could ever be his.

"You can cry all you want today

"You can cry all you want today. But after this, I will never let a single tear fall off your eyes.", Jun took Kat into his warm embrace.
Mingyu felt saddened as he could see through Junhui's heart, his love for Katherine escaped his eyes in the form of a single tear drop.
That was the first and the last time they both had cried in each other's arms.
.
.
The very day, Mingyu and Junhui asked for permission from Kat's parents for her hand in marriage.
They dearly allowed but were concerned with her never-withering feelings for Wonwoo.
On the other hand, Mingyu hurriedly reached Berkley on his mighty horse with a news that could shake Wonwoo from head to toe.

"Wonwoo... Where are you?", he barged in hysterically.

"what is wrong.. Pray tell me.", Wonwoo held his arms as he snaked behind him.

"Katherine is getting married tomorrow noon at the Cathedral Chruch.", he held his friend by the shoulder when he slowly zoned out into the void.

"is it true this news you bring?"

"who...is it?"

"Junhui"

Wonwoo felt lightheaded at the single word Mingyu said and gave in to the sofa he was near to, thereby sinking in completely.
.

.