Ch 13 - You're The Ocean

ATTENTION RADISH READERS! Please don't leave any spoilers in here or you'll be getting a spanking from Iona. Or Kole. Or Konnor. Whoever you'd prefer. 😘

***

I dragged my feet as I returned to the kitchen, rage boiling in my stomach at being forced to allow those women near me. It sickened me that they could benefit from my imprisonment, my fear. For once, Konnor was silent as we walked and I was grateful for it.

I blinked in surprise when I found the kitchen empty except for Dinah.

"I sent Allie and Lucy away," she said, answering my unspoken question. "They'll be back in a while when the bread is finished. Please sit, we can talk or not talk while I finish up here." The salad was finished, strips of chicken lay in front of her as she put together fixings for sandwiches. The kitchen was full of the scent of baking bread. It smelled wonderful.

Reluctantly, I sat and she put a fresh cup of tea in front of me.

"So, what's the punishment for threatening the Gamma's mate with a knife? Another night in the hole?" I said and she laughed.

"I think we can keep that between us girls, don't you?"

"I'm not a girl," Konnor piped up.

"You'll do as your told." She eyed her son then turned back to me, "I'm sorry, Iona. Allie has been struggling...I thought spending time with you would calm her and you would never know. I shouldn't have taken advantage. It won't happen again." She held my gaze, her clear green eyes full of sincerity. I stared at her. Her apology felt strange on my skin, causing an unease in my chest. Being wronged wasn't new to me, being apologised to was though.

I nodded, unsure what to say. She went back to cutting chicken strips and we spent a few moments in silence.

"What's wrong with her anyway?"

"The same as is wrong with most of the mated females. Her wolf wants a pup." She answered, her gaze on the food but I could see her mind was elsewhere. Probably focused on her concern for the women in her pack. I don't know why but until now, it hadn't really occurred to me that Dinah was directly responsible for them. Kole had more power but she had the closer bond. Their hurt was her hurt. I'd never seen people connected like this before. I eyed her closely, wondering if she was faking worry for my benefit. People could be conniving when they wanted to lure you in.

"Is she going crazy? Like Kole?"

"Not quite. She won't get lost in her wolf because she's mated, she'll just become more and more...irrational."

I tried to wrap my brain around her words. Every time I tried to gain an answer all I found were more questions.

"Is it the same for Carrick?"

"Again, not quite. Males don't have the same equipment as us or the same hormones. It affects us differently. It affects each wolf differently too. Our personality and qualities mean something," she said and I nodded again. Kallum had said the same thing last night.

"So, being around me helps?"

"It's likely to boost her fertility, yes. She hasn't had a heat in years. But it will calm her too."

I didn't know how to respond to that. My whole life I'd been on my own, no one to look out for and no one to look out for me. Now, all of a sudden, I was responsible for the well being of thousands of people...I didn't know what to do.