Two

I skip down stairs and into the kitchen where I meet my mother stirring a mixtures. She smiles over at me as I dip my finger into the bowl she tries to swat my hand away but she is too late.

“Roma, this is for Paolo’s birthday!” She shouts at me. I smile at her sweetly.

“It’s delicious Mama, but I think you need just a tad more sugar.” I tell her and she shakes my head at me before adding a tea spoon more of sugar.

“So what are we doing tonight?” I ask and lean on the counter of the kitchen and smile at my mother.

“We’re going to the Marchisio’s house for the birthday party.” She tells me.

“Do I have to go?” I ask ad she drop the spoon and looks at me.

“Of course you have to go Roma. It’s a Marchisio’s birthday, they’re the leaders. You have to go.” She explains to me.

“Fine.” I sigh.

“Go pick out your clothes.” She orders.

“Can I not do it later?”

“Go pick out your clothes Roma.” She repeats.

“How about I make a nice cake for the party.”

“Go pick out your clothes Roma.” She repeats for a third time making me sigh loudly and then trudge up stairs and go into my wardrobe.

I find a button up navy dress with a collar and the buttons down go right up and would expose my chest slightly. A thin belt is wrapped around the high waist and the skirt will come to just skimming about my knees.

I hang my dress up on the door and then skip back down stairs and smile at my caring mother.

“Can I bake a cake now?” I ask and she nods as she places her own one into the oven.

I get out all of the ingredients for making me favourite cake.

I take my time slowly mixing in the flour and the eggs.

“Oo, can I have some?” Mario asks, walking into shirtless, greeting us in only his underwear.

“No, this is for the party tonight, so you’ll have to wait until then.” I say to him and he laughs at me and stretches and he groan and holds his back. “What’s wrong?” I ask as I pour the cake mixture into a tin.

“I was fighting with Nico and he fucking punched me right in the side and it’s fucking sore.” Mario complains.

“Language like that will not be tolerated in my house Mario.” My mother walks back into the kitchen.

“Sorry Mama.” He kisses her forehead as she walks past.

“What did you chose to wear?” My mother asks me so I describe my dress to her making her smile.

“It sounds beautiful.” My mother smiles wide at me.

I pick up the cake time and place it into the oven.

“Roma will you help me hang up the washing?” She asks and I nod and then go into the laundry room and help her.

--------------------------

I rub my towel through my hair and look into my mirror and look at my dress and fix it before going into my mother’s room where she dries my hair. We leave my hair natural and she just applies a lip balm to my lips and smiles down at me.

“I missed this. I’m so happy to have you back.” My mother smiles down at me.

I smile up at her and she then picks up the mascara so I shut my eyes and she brushes through them with the product.