Nine

I look in the mirror and fix my dress and shoes.

Today is the day.

It's Stefano's funeral.

I was asked to say a bidding prayer today and so was Mario while my mother and father have been asked to hold on of the cords of the casket.

It's been different since Claudio has been leading. My father has been showing him the ropes but I've been seeing him less and less. I shouldn't be complaining about that, but it's just I went from seeing him basically every day to only seeing him every so often.

"Roma are you ready?" My mother shouts.

"Yes, just coming." I shout back and grab my black wrap and then run down the stairs to meet everyone.

My mother is still puffy eyed from the crying she had doing for the past few days at the rosaries for Stefano. My father hasn't said too much. He's been teary eyed and silent. But everyone has their different ways of coping.

"You go in with your brothers." My mother nods over to the door so I walk outside and climb into the car and lean my head against the window; waiting for everyone else to come out.

"Roma move into the middle, you're the smallest." Mario shouts so I sigh and move over into the middle of the car.

My brothers all pool into the car and I'm squished in the middle. But I don't complain. I just lean my head on Giorgio's shoulder.

We arrive at the Church about ten minutes later. My brothers are dressed in respectable black suits and the woman dresses in lacy black dresses.

"Roma, here is you prayer." Anna says, coming up behind me and hands me over the slither of paper. "And here is yours Mario." I then engulf Anna in a big hug. I let out a few tears.

"I'm so sorry Anna." I say and hold onto her tightly.

"Oh Roma, you are such a sweetheart." Anna smiles and kisses my cheek, "Whoever wins your heart is extremely lucky." I blush and then move away so others can get in to see Anna.

Following my mother and father into the Church and sit with them in the third row. Mario is to my left and Pedro is sitting to my right. I shake slightly while I wipe at my tears and sniff as I stare at the coffin with a picture of Stefano on top.

The mass then starts and it's surprisingly light-hearted. The Priest knew Stefano well so he was able to tell his own stories about him. It was beautiful.

I walk with Mario to the altar and we read out our bidding prayers. Mario looks composed as he says his easily but I felt like I was shaking so noticeably and had to try to hard to stop tears from rolling down my cheeks.

We then travel in cars to the graveyard just a few miles away. When we were there, I held onto Mario's arm as we watched my Mother and Father and others slowly let Stefano descend into the ground.

"Are you okay?" Mario whispers in my ear and I nod while a few tears stream down my face.

I look around the graveyard and find Claudio. He's as white as a ghost, tears scattering down his face and his hair disheveled. I let go of Mario and walk over to Claudio and he smiles slightly once he sees me.

"Hi Roma." He whispers and I give him a hug immediately. "Thank you." He whispers and hugs me back.

The rest of the day is taken up by us going back the Marchisio's house for dinner and to talk about Stefano.

------------------------

It's been three weeks since Stefano's funeral and almost everything is back to normal in the family. I don't see Claudio as much as I used to but he isn't as busy as I thought he would be but since he still comes round for dinner sometimes and is always with my brothers.

"Guys I'm going out!" I shout and immediately Giorgio comes out from the kitchen and looks at me with a deadpanned face.

"Where are you going?" He asks, crossing his arms over his chest.

"I'm meeting Dominico for some ice cream." I answer.

"Is he your boyfriend?" He questions as I place my hands on my hips.

"Yes, do you have a problem with that?" I ask as I then place my hands into the pockets of my button up dress.

"No." He sighs annoyed. "Be careful." I smile.

"See you later." I shout as I leave the house.

I walk quickly into town and arrive at the ice cream parlour a little early so I just sit down at one of the tables while I wait.

Five minutes later Dominico walked in, looking slightly angered. I smile as he walks in, but he doesn't return it. He just sat down in front of me and ran his hand through his hair before sighing.

"Hi." I smile at him once again, but he doesn't smile back.

"Hi." He sighs, "What do you want?" He asks me making me pout and look over at the ice creams.

"Just some vanilla please." I answer and watch as Dominico leaves the tables silently.

Why was he being like this?

He's not talking to me and looks like he doesn't want to be here.

I lay my head on my hand as I watch Dominico gets our ice cream.

When he returns, he is still is in a bad mood. He hands me my ice cream tub and sits back on his chair as he scoops a bite.

We sit in silence for a few minutes until I can't take it anymore.

"Are you okay?" I ask, making him look up at me.

"I'm fine." Once again he sighs making me roll my eyes.

"Well that's obviously a lie since you've not been talking to me and look so bored here." I say and try to look him in the eyes but he tries to avoid me. "Why aren't you looking at me?" I exclaim and set my ice cream down as I glare at him.

"I'm fine." Dominico repeats making me glare at him again.

"Fine." I spit and get up from my seat and leave the parlour.

I cross my arms as I walk away from the parlour; keeping my head down to stop people from seeing my watery eyes.

Why was he treating me like this?

What did I do?

"Roma wait!" I hear him shout from behind me so I sigh and turn to face him.

"What is it?" I keep my arms crossed as I look up at him.

"I'm sorry, I just got in a fight with my family and I didn't mean to be so cold with you." Dominico apologises and uncrossed my arms and holds onto hands. "Can you forgive me?" He asks and I look down at the ground.

"Okay." I look back up at him making him smile and pull me closer and places his hands in a clasp at the small of my back.

"Thank you." He smiles and keeps me close to him making me smile and blush.

"It's fine." I wrap my arms around his waist with a smile.

Dominico then leans down and kisses me sweetly making butterflies swirl through my stomach

"I love you Roma." Dominico whispers against my lips.

"I love you too." I say and kiss him again.

-----------------------------

Sorry I haven't updated in awhile.

I've been so busy with school.

Please comment, vote and follow me

Love you xx