Chapter 5

His

Ngayon alam na niya. Who I am, my surname, and my state when it comes to life. I hope hindi magbago yung pakikitungo niya saakin.

"Yes. I am." Sagot ko nalang sa tanong niya. Ngayon lang ako kinabahan. There's something about her. Na natatakot ako na baka mawala siya. I even considered her as my friend.

Dude. Friend, huh? Just a friend?

She was the one who saw me on my darkest time and even comforted me kahit hindi niya ako kilala. She was the one who asked me kung okay lang ako. She was the reason while I smiled and laugh that night. She let me see the light and I appreciate that. Nung umalis siya, hinila nanaman ako sa kadiliman.

"Bakit hindi mo sinabi saakin?" Tanong niya. I looked down para iwasan ang mga tingin niya. I know, just like my lola, she can read my emotions through my eyes.

"Nasa pinakamayaman kang pamilya sa Pilipinas. Dapat nga proud ka na sabihin saakin nung gabing yun. Bakit hindi mo ina-----"

I sighed heavily.

"Sila ang dahilan kung bakit ako may sugat nang gabing yon. I told you, right? Nakalimutan mo na ba? I had a fight against them, specifically my father. I hate them. Hindi ko kailanman ibinigkas ang apelyido ko. " I explained shortly. I lifted my head up to look at her. Kahit nasa gitna kami ng seryosong usapan, I can't help to admire her beautiful face. Gusto kong magpasalamat sa mga magulang niya.

Worried can be seen all over her face, and also pity. "Huwag mo akong kaawaan. Ayoko." I said and her face change in an instant. Ngumingiti na siya ulit.

Para hindi na umabot sa kung saan ang usapang 'to. I cleared my throat and leaned on the back of the sofa.
"Can we start our interview?" I asked with formality in my voice. She immediately fixed how she sits.

And her smile changed, it's not sweet anymore. It's formal. I like her smile but I love her natural smile.

"Yes, Mr. Erebus." She answered.

I bit my lower lip to prevent myself from smiling. She didn't mention my surname, because she's aware that I hate it. Samantalang yung mga iba kanina, ilang beses inuulit ang Huxley kapag sumasagot sa mga tanong ko.

"Introduce yourself."

She smiled. "I am Nyx Ellisandra Vance. I am 21 years old. I am a student and my dream is to become a doctor." She briefly introduced.

Kumunot ang noo ko. Is that her introduction? "You're still a student?" I asked her. Obviously naman, Erebus.

"Yes." She said. Hindi siya nahihiya na estudyante palang siya pero nandito siya, at nag aapply para maging secretary ko. It can be seen and heard sa boses niya.

"Bakit nandito ka?"

"Because I am a working student. I can work and study at the same time.---"

I tsked. "I know what a working student means, Ms. Vance. I'm asking you bakit nandito ka? Why don't focus on your study?"

She confidently answered. "I am supporting myself and providing for me and my little sister. I'm the one who finance everything because our parents left the world noong bata pa kami. I just graduated from Senior High School. Yes, tumigil ako ng tatlong taon because I needed to work for the two of us. I want to work here, kasi narinig ko malaki ang sweldo and by my salary, I will be able to enter Vantalack Review Center, and apply for a scholarship at Huxley College of Courses to reach my dream."