-Chapter 21

-Chapter 21

I look at Daiji as he stands outside the spa, waiting for me as he promised earlier during a phone call

"Hello," I say, greeting him casually with my usual monotone vocal tone. "I see that you were waiting for me."

Daiji smiles and nods, a little laugh escaping him. "Yes, I was waiting for you as I said I would on the phone. How are you doing this morning?" Daiji asks.

"I am doing quite well this morning. Thank you for asking me. And how are you doing this morning, Daiji?" 

"I am doing well as well. Did you figure out anything about that person a few days ago?" 

Right. It has been a few days since that happened. My arm is still healing, but it is doing a lot better now thanks to how he patched it up. Daiji is really a good caretaker. 

"That person did it for a living, but it is unknown who hired them." 

I had Mahiru look into it for me as she is trustworthy and good with that kind of thing. What she told me surprised me though. There was nothing left behind of that person's living accommodations. They weren't from Japan and for some reason were staying here to find me. It seems like an inside job according to her, but who would want to eliminate me like that? As far as I know, HIC thinks I'm doing a decent job other than when it comes to trying to eliminate Daiji. Perhaps...is that the cause of all this?

"Unknown? So, someone cleaned up the mess that they made?"

"It is like they knew that the person would be eliminated," I answer. "So, yes, someone cleaned up after their mess or wanted them to do it so their hands wouldn't get dirty." 

"Someone wants to eliminate you without everyone knowing that they ordered it? Just how dangerous is your line of work?"

"Investigating things can be dangerous at times." I think it is someone within HIC, but I can't imagine who. In the best-case scenario, it is someone who is my enemy and not someone within HIC. "Forget about it for now."

"So, ignore someone trying to kill you? Claire-"

"It isn't for you to worry about at this time. It is already being looked into." I do not want him getting involved.

"Okay," Daiji says, sounding disappointed. "I just want you to be safe, Claire."

"I know you do." Why wouldn't he?

Daiji obviously would want me safe as he sees me as his friend. Even though I'm not fully his friend due to what HIC is wanting me to do, I see him the same way personally. I believe I can make friends despite what my job wants me to do.

Daiji's eyes go to behind me. "Claire, turn around now." 

I turn and see a Kamen Rider behind me, wearing a black and white suit.

They say something, using a made up word.

"Daiji, you have to run now," I order as my ears start ringing and head starts throbbing. "Now."

That made up language is something I've heard before. It's an order to kill Daiji. That much I do know is being told to me with that made up language. 

Daiji shakes his head, eyes wide. "No, I can't leave you!"

"You'll get hurt if you don't. I have an order that puts you in danger," I explain, not going into details on what it is. "Please, run as far as you can from me. You have to go right now, Daiji, or else it'll get bad for you."

The black and white Rider stays still in front of me as I pull out my transformation gear. I put it around my waist and put in my transformation device. I hit the transform button and change, turning into my Kamen Rider form. The Rider rushes at me and I go to block, trying to shield myself from the blow.

The Rider stops at the side of me and I fall to my knees, my heart racing as my body dully aches. Did...did they just hit me before I could block it? How?

"My system is an upgraded version of yours," they say, voice familiar to my ears. Klaus?

I turn my head as they exit their Kamen Rider form and I exit mine, placing my belt down on the ground. If I keep fighting as is, I will lose greatly. I cannot afford to lose as it'll place Daiji in danger. For now, I must do the right thing and stand down.

Klaus looks over his shoulder, staring at me with cold eyes. "I should have known to drop you the moment you started having issues performing, Claire. Out of all my children, I thought you were the best choice for this mission. I was wrong." Children? His children?

"Children?" Daiji asks.

"Claire, Daiji!" Ikki?

I turn my head as the other Igarashi brother shows up, staring at us in concern. I have to warn him. I have to keep him from getting closer or Klaus will off him as well.

"Don't do anything rash, Ikki!" I shout. "This is my boss, Klaus! Don't do anything rash to him or else he'll have you eliminated without any hesitation!"

"I am proud that you're able to interact with people, but you made a mistake in becoming friends with these people," Klaus tells me, turning to me, and I look him in the eyes. He takes a step towards me and places his hand on my hair, pulling it roughly. "You're a failure."

"Failure?" I'm the one who is a failure? What about him? 

~.~

(Taehee's POV)

I feel someone grab my arm, keeping me from moving forward. 

"Not now, Taehee," the woman orders.

"Let me go," I tell her. "Claire's getting hurt." I don't even know this woman's name.

"Calm down! We have him where we want him," she says, shaking her head. "Claire will survive him and his attacks on her. Taehee, you have to believe me on this one. She can handle herself." 

The woman stares at me with a stern expression on her face. This is a look I've never seen before. She's determined to take down Klaus.

"Release me. I won't go." I will stay beside her.

She lets go of my arm. "Taehee, do not let your emotions towards him get the better of you. Whatever he did to you isn't worth compromising your mission over. I brought you here for a reason." 

I nod my head. "I understand what you're saying to me, uh..." What is her name?

"Do not worry about having a name for me right now. I'm just your boss," she says, smiling weakly at me. "Call me 'Boss Lady', alright?" 

"Boss Lady, I will do as you want moving forward. If you want me to hide in the shadows for now, I will do that." I will do anything to keep her from getting hurt.

"Good. I suspect there is someone lurking about right now and I can't have you blowing your cover. I am sure you want to stop them from hurting her as well." 

"I do." 

"Then you're going to keep yourself hidden from view for the time being. I will tell you when to reveal yourself. Now, Taehee, follow me so we can begin your training. In your current state, you're a bit rusty." 

I look away from her, scoffing. "Rusty? Me?"

I am far from being rusty.