-Chapter 26

-Chapter 26

"Does it work properly?" Mahiru asks

A few moments ago, George was explaining how it made some upgrades to my system. Of course, I didn't really understand the mumbo jumbo he was spitting out. I'm not a robot after all. I am intelligent, but not that intelligent. 

"Of course!" George assures her. "I wouldn't dare harm her with these upgrades. My goal is to-"

"No one cares right now," Mahiru tells him. "Claire, do you find these adequate for you?" 

I take the items from George. "Yeah, these will do, hopefully," I respond, nodding my head. "I trust him with improving and expanding it. Since HIC isn't trustworthy enough to do so and Klaus was hiding a lot of things, we have to trust George."

"Thank you for trusting me," George says. "At least someone trusts me unlike a certain somebody right there next to you." His eyes look Mahiru over and she laughs. "Hey, it's not funny! I'm a genius compared to you."

"Sure, I believe that. Of course, I mean that when it comes to certain things. In other areas, I definitely am better and much more intelligent than you." 

I look at Mahiru. "Do you have to start an argument with the man who is helping us out?"

"It's his fault. He started it." Mahiru looks away, acting completely innocent. "We won't try it out today. Perhaps in a few weeks, maybe? I want to study it before it gets used. I want to ensure your safety, Claire."

"You don't trust me?" George asks.

"Not fully," Mahiru states, answering him. "It's hard to trust people in these organizations you know." 

"Understandable. Good point," George responds, understanding her point. "But just know you can trust me. I love Kamen Riders." 

"Even more reason to not trust you." Mahiru shakes her head. "You're an obsessed freakazoid that we have to trust not to do stuff that benefits your obsession. How do I know if your need for science and Kamen Riders won't screw me over?" 

I stare off as they bicker, obviously not wanting to get along, as my mind drifts off to other thoughts. 

"Claire!"

I snap out of my mind and look at Mahiru as Daiji moves to being beside her. Hey, when did he get here? I barely even got started daydreaming. 

"I'm going to borrow Claire for a moment," Daiji says.

"Daiji was calling out to you and you weren't listening," Mahiru states. "Go on and take her before she drifts away again. She's probably thinking about all that she did before. Don't let her worry about it too much, okay?" 

Daiji looks at her and nods. "I'll be sure to keep her from slipping into another daydream," he assures her. "Come on, Claire. Let's go and chat over that way away from everyone, okay?"