1.4 - Problems

Courtney

Darlington was a bust. Ryan had started so well but by the end of the race, he was a lap down in twenty-second place. I knew the Gianna thing was messing with him and then his crew had cost him big playoff points, so we went from tied for second to fifth in the standings. Although we were quite optimistic about Richmond this Saturday.

I had tried to put his words in the back of my mind since he said them. I knew he loved me, hell I loved him even more. Two years doesn't just erase because of four months apart. I wanted to just let him back in completely but I know as long as he has to have Gianna around, I'm not wanting to put myself in that position again.

Unfortunately, he was needed at the shop this morning, and that just so happened to be the same time I had a check-up. I chalked it up to bad timing but Ryan felt that Gianna held a part in needing his presence. So instead I had Erin coming along to record the whole thing for Ryan. She had been excited this morning whenever I had picked her up, even flowing her good energy into the room when we got there. She made it almost seem like Ryan was here and that was something that I needed.

"Mrs. Lane, you can come back now." A nursing assistant stood by the door. A smile on her face. She led Erin and me to the usual room I'm placed in. "I'll go ahead and do the ultrasound and then Dr. Wyatt will be in to talk with you about your hospital visit."

I could see a look of confusion pass over Erin's features. "Hospital visit? What's she talking about?" Giving her a sheepish grimace, I told her I'd talk to her later about it. She nodded her head, getting her phone out to call Ryan. He answered on the second ring, and his eyes seemed tired but he masked it with a smile. "How's everything going?" He asked, looking around at the screen. "We're just getting started."

While Erin talked with her brother, the nurse went through the normal checking of my blood pressure and weight before having me lay on the examination table. I lifted my shirt up and then pulled my pants down below my belly so she could tuck a small paper hand towel in so my clothes would be protected from the gel. 

Once she got the image going, I could hear Ryan take a sharp breath. I know I had given him photos but nothing could beat seeing it for yourself. I just wish he was able to be here to experience it. 

"Here's the head, ten toes, and fingers, down here we have his heart." She pointed out each of his features, even letting Erin get close to the screen so Ryan could see everything a lot better.

I could hear a bit of the conversation that was going on around him coming from Erin's phone, immediately having to tune out the sound of Gianna's voice. I'm not going to let her ruin this for me, or Ryan. I did hear Joey talking and by his words knew he had been watching the screen right along with him. I smiled as the tech turned up the heartbeat volume so it was audible for them. Smiling, I turned my attention to the screen and enjoyed this time, unfortunately, the good time didn't last long.

It didn't take but another move of the wand for my smile to dissolve quickly. 

"Over here we have his lungs." The look on the nurse's face changed into a look of confusion as did her voice. The way she pursed her lips had me afraid. My heartbeat sped up and I could tell something was wrong with the way she quickly returned the wand to the monitor and excused herself for a moment.

"What's wrong, Erin? Why'd she leave so quickly? What's going on?" 

My attention went to Erin as she was already staring back at me. Handing me the phone as she said that she didn't know, I saw a worried Ryan on the screen. He was walking away from the group he was surrounded by. I could tell he was feeling the exact way that I was.