1.9 - Non-Traditional

Courtney

I couldn't stop staring at the ring that shined all different colors when the light hit it. I had sat in front of the television watching the race with Lisa but my focus kept getting redirected to the ring that was set on that finger and then I would think about how Tuesday night ended with Ryan leading me to our room and pulling out the black box from exactly where he said it was. 

Ryan had barely even turned around before his knee hit the ground. No, it wasn't some romantic trip somewhere, he wasn't dressed up and I sure as hell wasn't looking my best with a tank top barely covering the bottom of my bump and but somehow it was still perfect for us. When I pulled into his arms again after nodding my head and the ring slid onto my finger, everything felt like it was finally okay.

The kiss we shared after had quickly turned more passionate, going from kneeling to both of us being on the bed without breaking the kiss. I had straddled his hips, knowing that I couldn't get as close to him as I wanted to but he accommodated that by sitting up so we were still face to face. My hands went from roaming to pulling his shirt off in a second. I could feel myself wanting him more every time a new article of clothing came off.

Snapping from my thoughts, Lisa was coming back in after I guess letting Sturgill out. "What are you thinking for dinner tonight? I can pick us up whatever you'd like?" I hadn't been so hungry, more so tired than anything. All the animals seemed to want to be in the bed with me last night since Ryan wasn't in his space, which meant it wasn't just a baby sitting on my bladder that continually had me waking up.

"Something easy. We can Door Dash McDonald's or Zaxby's." I answered, knowing I kept seeing commercials for both every time the race went side by side.

Getting up from the couch, I went to grab my phone off the counter. Lisa had picked Zaxby's and I was all for it. After finishing the order, I noticed the big smile that Lisa had. "That's some nice jewelry you have Court." I couldn't help the blush that crept up on my cheeks. 

"I had hoped from the very start you all would get married and give me more grandbabies. It might be reversed in order but I can't wait for you to officially get two new Blaney members." Her arms wrapped around me, squeezing gently as she spoke.  I breathed deeply, not wanting to cry from the damn hormones but man did I miss Lisa and her kind words.

She was always on my side with things, even whenever Ryan and I did fight she would make sure to remind us both that we loved each other and we could always overcome things that came in our path, and if that didn't work she'd tell Ryan to be nice or she'd get Dave involved.

That usually always did it for him.

"I can't wait either. I know we are both loved so much and we love you all."

Ryan

It had been two weeks since I had inadvertently proposed to Courtney and we had decided that we were going to be a little bit spontaneous and get married the Thursday before Martinsville. There was nothing fancy about it. I had put on the best suit that I owned and Courtney had bought a dress. Her family had come down from West Virginia to be here and my family was more than thrilled for this day. There was nothing traditional about this day but we were wanting to put the past behind us as soon as possible and make up for the lost time we had apart. I'm sure sometime in the future we'll have an actual wedding with the rest of our friends and family but for now, this would be enough.

Keeping the very non-traditional way, Courtney had rode with me to the church after getting our marriage license at the courthouse. After the ceremony, we would have the pastor sign it and then send it back to the courthouse to be filed. From there it would be official, and the stuff I had bought on Amazon would be for the three of us.

As I got out of the truck, I made my way over to help Courtney. She smiled, giving me a thank you as her feet were safely on the ground. Behind me, I could hear my sisters gushing about how we looked already. Turning around I was met with just a few extra faces than expected.

"Now you honestly didn't think you would do this without some of your friends here?" Chase grinned. Joey and Brittany had been standing beside Courtney's mom while Chase, William, and Bubba were grinning next to Erin. I had asked the question about how they knew and only got a sheepish reply from Erin on how William had found out which then leaked to the rest of them.

When I turned to give Courtney a look to make sure she was okay with all of this newness but she had already squeezed my hand. "Now it's a perfect day to get married." And just like always, she was right. As we both pledged our vows to each other and exchanged rings, I couldn't think of a more perfect way to finally be committed to my best friend.