1.6 - Guilt

Courtney

"Gianna? What are you doing here?" Ryan held the door open further, I noticed then that rain was falling in a steady rhythm. Gianna had an ashen face as her body language showed that she wasn't comfortable being there. Her arms were crossed over her chest and she kept looking behind her. It was almost like she was afraid someone would see her.

"I'd like to talk with you both. I think it's time that we end this stupid relationship." She spoke with such disdain for the topic. It shocked me to hear her talk about their relationship like that.

Ryan let her in, closing the door so the rain and the cold wind wouldn't travel in with her. My mind went off, thinking of what had to have happened that she is now so ready to give up the fame. Moving to the living room, we sat on the couches. I felt guilty for listening in but then I thought of how much shit I've been put through and decided to keep my ass planted; more so because getting back up might be near impossible.

"Why the sudden change of heart?" Ryan asked, scrunching his eyebrows. Just as confused about this whole thing as I was.

"I've been seeing someone else since before our arrangement started and this past weekend he asked me to marry him and I said yes. I thought modeling was what I wanted but it's not anymore. Truth is, I think I wanted to please my parents more than anything. I can't keep Andrew in the dark anymore, and you shouldn't keep Courtney and your son from the fans. They love her anyway, way more than me. And besides, what Nascar fan wouldn't love a fourth-generation racer anyway."

Well damn, I did not see that one coming. From my spot, I could see the sparkle on her finger, a twinge of jealousy running through me. If it wasn't because of her, I could probably have the same thing by now. That wasn't fair, I hadn't done anything wrong by falling in love with a coworker but I was now bitter because while my life had gone to crap, Gianna had it all. She was able to keep her boyfriend, and subsequently get mine.

"I'm going to talk to Roger in the morning. This has gone on for far too long. I'm ready to move on with my life." 

And I would love to have mine back.

True to her word, Ryan had a phone call Sunday when we got to the track about a short meeting with Roger as soon as possible, and knowing it was because she got into contact with them, I had nothing to worry about. I had been flabbergasted after she left because she was a completely different person when sitting and talking with us.

I would have never guessed that she was actually in the same situation as Ryan with someone already in her life when this crazy situation started. Turns out Andrew was a friend of Chase's, even being a roommate of one of his tire changers. I did wonder why she hadn't gone to Rick and asked him for the favor since her dad and he was friends also. That would have saved me from turning my life upside down.

"I'll be back in just a little bit. Erin is with William if you'd like to talk with her." I knew that Brittany hadn't been able to make the journey as she wasn't feeling too well this week and other than her, I hadn't been close to anybody else during the breakup time.

"That's fine, I might just go searching around the garage."

Ryan

I walked to my hauler, a slight nervous shake in my legs. I had fans walking around me asking for a signature. I had stopped for as many as I could before I made it to the door, bidding them all a good day before stepping inside. Roger sat on the small couch. What look to be a stack of papers in his hand.

Sitting in the chair placed in front of him, I waited for him to speak. It took him a few seconds as he wouldn't look up but when he did, I could see the remorse in his eyes.

"Ryan, I don't even know where to begin." He began, rubbing his neck with his free hand then continuing. "Gianna terminated her contract this morning. She, along with me, is extremely guilty for all of the trouble we have caused for you and Courtney. I never should have even made you do the favor in the first place. It wasn't fair to you." He blew out a breath, clearly not in his element here.

His statement was true. It wasn't fair to me, nothing had been fair in this whole thing. I was dealt the short end of the stick, and Courtney has gotten the even shorter end if not nothing at all. "No, it wasn't." I rebutted, almost child-like but it still had to be said. Screw being the bigger man, I was still upset that the whole ordeal happened.

"I can understand that this could lead to you taking different career paths when your contract is up but I will do anything I can to keep you with us. Starting with this."

Standing up, he took the papers that I had noticed were the contracts that I had signed with Gianna and the one that Courtney had signed, ripping both of them up into several pieces and then tossing them in the bin.

"From now on, you and Courtney are free to do as you please. I would like to extend my apologies to her, as well. I did mess up royally, she was the best employee I had, and letting her walk away was stupid of me. If she would be willing to, I'd like to meet with her and mend things."

Telling him that I would pass on the message to her but it was her place to decide on what she wanted to do, and he seemed to relax more. I didn't doubt that I would pass along the message to Court but I had serious doubts she'd want to meet just yet. The tension in the room seemed to dissipate more as we talked for a little while longer.

He had asked how the baby was, not knowing if he should or not. I had told him about how he had hit a bit of a rough patch with his lungs but things were looking up. I could tell Roger felt a sense of responsibility for things happening, and I had that feeling too but I wasn't going to guilt trip him about it. 

When the conversation was over, I noticed that we had been talking a lot longer than expected as it was just about time for the pre-race, and I'm sure that there were going to be some cameras from NBC wanting to get an interview before anything starts. And I still needed to tell Court the good news.

This should be a fun day.

Well, that was surely not expected but I thought it might fit well into the plot line. Did anyone see it coming? Also an early Happy Thanksgiving to you all! On vacation right now so I am trying to write as much as possible. :D Sorry this one is so short but wanted to get this one finished.

- Stay Beautiful

Courtney S