31: The Man with the Kind Smile

Two weeks ago in Kazahana village>>

"Before you go, Rengoku, I want to give you this!" Otsune said as she extended her hands.

"Hm, what's this?" Kyōjurō asks, taking what seemed to be a bottle wrapped in decorative paper.

"It's Amsone. It is medicine made from a very special herb called Mage Shiso." The elder woman explains. "It's an herbal extract that has been used to treat chronic illnesses, including body pain, headaches, and inflammation. I want you to give this to Ubuyashiki-san as a gift."

Kyōjurō's eyes widen at the mention of his Oyakata-sama's name. "You know Ubuyashiki-sama?!" He asks.

"Oh yes, he and I go way back! I've known him every since he was a little boy," she says with a warm smile.

"R-really!? Then you must know of the─"

"Curse mark? Yes, I wasn't born yesterday, Rengoku, hahaha." The elder woman laughs. "If you must know, I used to be demon slayer just like you, back in my youth!"

Kyōjurō's widen even more in surprise when the words left her mouth.

"Wait...You were a demon slayer?!" His eyes twinkled like stars, trying to imagine her younger self wielding a sword against the forces of darkness.

"Yes, but that's another story!" She says, only making Kyōjurō even more curious. He wanted to know more about her experiences as a demon slayer but alas, she decided to keep those tales to herself, leaving him in suspense.

Yet, Kyōjurō couldn't shake off the feeling that there was more to Otsune than met the eye. Despite her reluctance to share her past, Kyōjurō couldn't help but feel a sense of respect for her.

"Every since my first encounter with Kagaya-kun, I've been striving to create a cure to rid him of the insufferable curse, but with no success." Otsune frowned slightly.

"I assume it must've been causing him nothing but trouble throughout his young life, so this is the best I could do for him. So please, Kyōjurō-kun, give this to Kagaya whenever you have the chance and tell him that this "wise old owl" hasn't forgotten about her little crow." She tells him.

The Flame Hashira smiles before kneeling down like a knight. "I will, Lady Fukasawa. You can count on me!"

──────────────

"What's this about weddings?"

Everyone, including you, turned to see a man with porcelain skin and black shoulder length hair. He wore a black yukata and a long white haori with a pink and purple patterns.

You soon took note of the strange veiny discoloration that ran over his forehead and his eyes. There were also two little twin girls with white hair and dark-purple eyes, standing close beside him.

You soon saw movement beside you and noticed that Kyōjurō and the others had gathered around and kneeled down on one knee. It was clear that this man was of utmost importance, so not wanting to be the only one being disrespectful, you got down on both knees and held Kyōjurō's hand.