Chapter 3: Quick Escape, Small Talk, And Janice's Jealousy

Gabrielle picks up the journal and says to Xena, "They were lucky to escape that mob."

"So this Pablo guy was a student of Mel's dad?" Xena says. "I wonder how he plays into all this?"

"Well, let's another chapter and see!" Gabrielle said as they started to read the next chapter. "The mob stopped following us two or three miles out of town. After that we drove at least forty miles to make sure we were in the clear. We ended up in another village that turned out to be way nicer."

The scene now cuts to the trio driving into a village. Pablo stops the truck in front of a building and says, "We need to find someplace where we can get gas." Pablo drives a little further and sees a gas station. "I will get gas and see if there's a place we can stay for the day," Pablo says.

"Thank you." Mel says to him as he goes into the station.

Janice looks at Mel and says, "What's your take on him."

"He seems nice." Mel says. "Why do you ask?"

"Something about him rubs me the wrong way." Janice says.

"How so?" Mel asks.

"Like there's more to him than just being a former student of your dads." Janice says with caution.

"You're reading too much into this Janice." Mel says. "He saved us from getting killed back in that town, remember."

Pablo gets back into the truck and says, "There is no hotel or motel in this town. The only place is a boarding house at the end of town."

"Well, let's go then Amigo!" Janice says a little annoyed as she gives Mel a serious look. Pablo starts the truck and they head to the edge of town. After paying for a room, they discover the room only has one bed.

"Are you fucking serious!" Janice angerly says.

"We'll figure this out Janice." Mel says.

"I can sleep on the floor." Pablo says.

"I wasn't expecting you to sleep in bed with us anyway Mack," Janice says annoyed yet again. She turns to Mel and says, "I guess this means we're sharing a bed. You don't mind?"

Mel looks at the queen size bed, looks at Janice, and says, "Well, it's only for one night, and I don't bite."

Janice turns to Pablo and says, "Now that we got the sleeping arrangements figured out, is there someplace where we can get a decent meal?"

"I will go look around, Senorita Janice." Pablo says then leaves then leaves the room.

Janice turns to Mel and says, "See, there is something not right about him!"

"It was just a mistake Janice."Mel says. "I remember my daddy talking about him. From what my daddy said, he was a sincere, friendly sort of man."

Janice sighs, grab Mel's hands, looks into her eyes and says, "Listen doll, I know you like to see the good in people, but please, as your friend, keep an eye on this guy. He rubs me the wrong way."

Pablo walks back into the room and says, "I found a place where we can get something to eat."

Janice and Mel look at Pablo and Janice says with an unamused look on her face, "Okay, lead the way doctor."

They walk out of the room and walk down the road. Pablo looks at Janice and says, "Your father was Harry Covington. The greatest archaeologist of this century."

"Yep." Janice says. "That's what they say about him."

"It must be an honor to follow in his footsteps, carrying on his work and finding the scrolls the way Senorita Mel and you did."