Chapter 13: Into the Jungle, Pablo's Fears, Rival Tribes, and One Goes Down

The next day, Xena and Gabrielle walk into the cabin after going for a ride on their bikes. "That was a good ride!" Gabrielle says as she takes off her leather jacket and hangs it on the coat rack.

Xena takes her jacket off and says, "Loved it!! We haven't had a ride like that in a while!" She hangs her jacket up, walks to the fridge, and grabs two bottles of beer and hands one to Gabrielle. They both then sit on the couch, open their beers and take a sip. Gabrielle looks at her and says, "You know what, I love the fact that Mel is getting bolder."

"I do to." Xena says. "Janice has a huge part in it."

Gabrielle smiles and says, "They complete each other, just like we do!" Gabrielle says as she grabs the journal and snuggles up to Xena. She opens the journal and starts to read, "A couple of days later, Janice, Pablo, and I were on the road to the jungles. You could tell that the landscape had changed, for the countryside was turning into jungles."

The scene pans to the trio driving, Signs of tropical jungles started forming, and the terrain was getting denser. "So, where are we going to camp?" Mel asks.

"In a few hours, there should be an area where we can pitch tents, Senorita Mel." Pablo says. "We will have to take turns watching out for wild animals and possible tribal members."

"I've got my rifle in the back," Janice says.

"When will we get to the tribe that has the phoenix? Mel asks.

"Hopefully, if the other tribes will be peaceful about us entering their lands, within a week," Pablo says.

Later that afternoon, Mel, Janice, and Pablo have two mid-size tents pitched in a cleared area. Janice looks at Pablo and asks, "So, Dr. Leon! When do you think we will see these amazon savages that you keep on warning us about?"

"I do not know Senorita Janice; they could be spying on us right now." Pablo says. "Just keep your eyes open to everything. We will start a small fire soon; I will go get some wood; you two stay here and guard our site." Pablo grabs his gun and heads off into the jungles.

Mel looks around the area and says, "I hope we don't run into trouble."

"We are just going to keep our eyes open to anything." Janice says. They look around the area and Janice then sits as sounds of wild animals are heard in the distance. "Come on Pablo, hurry up!"

About fifteen minutes later, a rustling from the jungle is heard as Janice and Mel stands up,  pulls out their guns, and Mel says, "Who's out there!"

Suddenly Pablo comes walking out with some wood in his arms and says, "I gathered some wood for a nice fire for us!"

Janice and Mel give him an angry look as they put their guns back in their holster, "You idiot!" Janice proclaims, "We could've killed you!"

"You need to give us a sign that you're coming towards our site!" Mel yells.

"I apologize Senorita's." Pablo says as he suddenly trips over a branch sticking out of the ground. Pablo quickly gets up, brushes himself off, and says, "Where did that come from." Janice and Mel shake their heads and smirks at each other as Pablo picks up the firewood and says, "Let's get a fire started!"

Thirty minutes later a small, yet nice fire is going. Mel walks over to it and stirs a small pot with some stew in it. Janice hands Mel three bowls and three spoons, and Mel fills each of them with the stew. She gives Janice and Pablo a bowl, and they dig into the small meal. "I think you should keep a watch on the camp the first half of the night Pablo." Janice says. "Mel and I will do the other half."

"You mean I have to sit out here, by myself!" Pablo questions.

"Dr. Leon! Are you scared?!?" Mel asks as Janice and her smirks at him.