Chapter 15: Thoughts, Meeting Kaue, and The Truth About Pablo

The following day, Xena and Gabrielle walk into the cabin and take their leather jackets off. Xena grabs a couple of bottles of beer, hands one to Gabrielle, and they sit on the couch. Xena smirks and says, "They are coming along great with that science building. I love the design of it all."

"Yeah, it should be completely finished in about a month according to the dean!" Gabrielle says. "So I was thinking, after we're done with the journal, I'm going to go through it and get it published. What's your opinion?"

"Go for it! I love that idea! The world needs to know all about their journeys. This has been so amazing reading about them. " Xena says. "I also think Mel and Janice would've liked that idea!"

Gabrielle smiles, grabs the journal, snuggles up to Xena, and says, "You know, they sort of mirrored us in a way."

Xena kisses Gabrielle's forehead and says, "Yeah, they did! Except Mel reminds me of you in a way, and Janice.."

"Reminds me of you!" Gabrielle says. "It's weird, huh."

"In a way, yeah." Xena says. "Let's continue this! From the way it looks, there are only a couple more chapters!"

Gabrielle opens up the journal to the latest entry and starts to read, "We pitched our tent in an area that didn't look too bad as far as critters go. Pablo told us we were a day away from the Enawene Nawe tribe, and I couldn't be more happier about that. After everything that Janice and I went through, the fact that we will soon meet this tribe and discuss the Phoenix excites me. However, there has been a lot on my mind. Ever since Macedonia, I haven't been the same. And I don't know why or how to feel about that."

The scene pans to outside Mel and Janice's tent. Mel stares at the dark, Amazon sky as the stars shimmer and twinkle, causing her to smile at the beautiful sight. Pablo is fast asleep in his tent, snoring away. Janice walks out of their tent and sits next to her. Janice looks at the sky smiling at the breathtaking view and says, "Beautiful night, isn't it!"

"Yeah, it sure is." Mel says. She looks at Janice and then asks, "Janice, you believe me about Pablo, right?"

Janice looks at her and says seriously, "Of course, babe!"

"It's just that after Macedonia, there are parts of me that have been so different." Mel says looking at Janice. "It's like Xena's essence lives in me now." Mel sighs and then continues, "I'm sounding crazy right now, aren't I! I mean, it just isn't logical for a spirit, or at least parts of a spirit from the past, to live inside a living person! Is it?"

Janice puts her arm around Mel, kisses her forehead, and says, "What happened in Macedonia was extraordinary Mel. It's hard to comprehend what went on. All I know is that you're braver now. Though, you taking an arrow for Pablo scared the shit out of me!" Mel and Janice giggle, and Janice continues to say, "Whatever is happening, I know Xena would be proud of you!"

"You think so?" Mel asks.

Janice smiles and says, "I know so!" Janice leans into Mel and passionately kisses her as a shooting star flies through the Amazon sky.

The next day the trio is driving through the trail, anxious to get to the tribe. "These jungles are amazing!" Mel says. "There must be thousands of creatures that haven't even been discovered yet!"

"I'm sure there are Senorita Mel. It would take a lifetime to discover them though." Pablo says. Pablo looks around, slows the truck down and stops it and says, "We have company Senoritas."

"Where? I don't see anybody!" Janice says, looking down the trail.

Mel stares into the trees, points to them, and says, "There, in the trees!"