Chapter 6: Janice Reveals The Truth, Pablo's Big Mouth, A Warlord And The Tribe

The next day, Xena and Gabrielle are on their horses riding through the valley. They get off and give Blaze and Sierra a break. Gabrielle takes the journal out of her saddlebag, and they sit on a rock. "I can't believe how spot on the fortune teller was to them." Gabrielle says.

"Yeah. She was right about a lot of things. Let's read a little more. I want to know what Pablo's plan in all this is."

Gabrielle opens the journal and starts to read, "After seeing the fortune teller, we walked back to our room. I noticed that Mel was not herself; she was very quiet." Gabrielle looks at Xena and says, "Janice is writing what is happening now!"

"Really!! What does it say!?!" Xena asks with a look of excitement on her face.

"We walked into our room, and Mel sat on the bed with a serious look on her face." Gabrielle says as the scene now goes to Mel and Janice's room.

"Mel, what's wrong?" Janice asks with a concerned look on her face. "You've been quiet since we left that fortune teller."

"I know you said you'd tell me what happened in the cave with Ares when the time was right, but now I want to know," Mel says, looking at Janice seriously. "Tell me what happened, please."

Janice takes off her hat, sets it on a chair, looks at Mel, and says, "Ok, I'll tell you what happened."

Thirty minutes later, Janice reveals what happened to Mel. Mel sits on the bed with a shocked look on her face and says. "I really fought Ares!"

"Yeah, you sure did! Well, with Xena's help." Janice says. "But you managed to stop him from killing us and getting out of that cave."

"Actually, it was Xena," Mel says. "She's the one who possessed my body and saved the day."

"You both did Mel." Janice says as she tenderly smiles at her. "You were amazing."

Mel smiles at Janice and says, "I have to tell you something Janice."

"What is it, dollface?" Janice says.

"Ever since that incident, I've felt different." Mel says, looking at the ground.

"Different? How?" Janice asks.

"Ever since then, I've felt more confident, more braver." Mel says. "It's like Xena left a small part of herself with me."

Janice grabs Mel's hand, smiles, and says, "Well, if she did, it's a good thing. I have noticed that you've changed a bit, but it's for the better."

"You think so?" Mel asks.

Janice smiles and says, "I know so. I can't see you wielding a sword or jumping through the air, but you're not afraid of danger anymore. Don't lose that part of you."

"Thank you for telling me what happened and being there for me." Mel says, smiling tenderly at Janice. "I'm glad we met Janice." Mel hugs Janice, who smiles tenderly.

"Same here, Mel." Janice says as they break from their hug. Suddenly, they stare deep into each other's eyes, feeling a connection within; then, as they are about ready to kiss, there is a knock at the door. "Senoritas! It's Pablo!" says Pablo outside their door.

Janice and Mel look at the door in disgust, and Janice gets up, opens it, and says, "What is it!?!"

Pablo looks around and notices Mel and Janice tense looks on their faces and asks, "Am I interrupting you ladies?"

"No! What do you want?" Janice snips.

"Well, I have some news on the roads," Pablo says. "We are going to be stuck here for a week, two at the most."