Chapter 9: Saying Goodbye, Jasper Jacks and Pablo's Betrayal

Xena looks at Gabrielle and says "So, your Great-Grandfather fits into this! Have you ever met him?"

"He passed away when I was a toddler, I bearly remember him. But my Grandpa and dad told me all about him." Gabrielle says, smiling. "According to them, my Great-Grandfather was larger than life."

"Sounds like Mel!" Xena says, smirking.

"He also had a big heart and would do anything for anyone." Gabrielle says, smiling as she turns the page to the next chapter. "Let's continue!" Gabrielle turns the pages and reads out loud, "It took Janice a week to recover." Mel says. "Ester and I took turns watching her condition. She slept a lot, and I would just sit there and watch her, telling her to get better. I didn't want to lose the love of my life."

The scene now pans to the medical hut. Mel puts a cool rag on Janice's forehead, for she still had a fever from time to time. Ester walks into the hut and up to Janice, examines her, checking her heart rate and pulse. She smiles at Mel and says, "She's getting better. Her body is just healing."

"She is a fighter; I will say that!" Mel says, smiling.

"You love her dearly. Don't you?" Ester says, smiling.

Realizing that Ester knows that they are lovers, Mel says, "Yeah, I do. Before I met Janice, I was this quiet southern belle who just wanted to follow in her daddy's footsteps. I was the good girl in town. I did what everyone wanted me to do. How to act, how to feel, who to love. But inside, I knew I didn't want to be that person; it wasn't me."

"Then you met Janice." Ester says, smiling.

Mel gets a huge smile on her face and says, "Yes, madam! Granted, our first meeting wasn't a good one, but in that tomb, well, you know what happened, it changed. Afterward, I felt so different, and Janice helped me through it. We bring out the best in each other. She has taught me to be a stronger person, and I've taught her to open up more."

"You two most certainly are almas gemelas," Ester says.

"Yeah, we are true soulmates." Mel says. Janice turns her head back and forth, then opens her eyes. Mel and Ester look down at her, and Mel asks, "Janice, are you alright?"

Janice smiles and says, "Hey, babe! When can we get the hell out of here!"

Ester and Mel smile as Ester says, "Give it a few days Dr. Covington. You've been in and out of consciousness for a few days while the anti-venom has been working its magic. We have to get you up and moving. Rest for one more day, and if you can walk without help, I'll let you leave."

Mel looks at Janice, smiles, and says, "Now you listen to her! Doctor's orders! I mean it, Janice Covington!"

Janice smiles at the women and says, "Ok! Doctors orders!

"I will have Carlota make up something to eat for you. You're probably hungry." Ester says.

"Yeah, I am!" Janice says, smiling. "Thank you, Dr. Garcia."

"You're welcome! And please, call me Ester, my friend." Ester says. Janice nods her head as Ester leaves the room.

Mel looks down at Janice and says, "You scared me for a minute there!'

"Ah, it's not my time, doll!" Janice says as she grabs Mel's hand. Mel leans down, and they share a passionate kiss. "I've missed that."

"Oh, you have now!" Mel says, smiling as they kiss yet again. Suddenly there is a knock on the door, and Mel and Janice angrily stare at it and Mel says, "What is it!"

Pablo comes inside and walks to Janice's bed and says, "Dr. Garcia has told me you woke up, Senorita Janice! I am so glad to see this."

"Oh!" Janice says angrily. "As I recall before I passed out, you had my funeral planned and ready to go!"