Chapter 11:Deathly Warnings, Interesting News and Setting Pablo Straight

Xena and Gabrielle look at the book smiling as Gabrielle says, "Wow! I don't think my dad or my grandpa knew about this. It's amazing how Janice and my Great-Grandfather reconnected."

"I'm glad Janice and Mel talked him out of finding the Phoenix!" Xena says. "Ares would have killed him on the spot."

"That's true. I can't believe how cruel their mother was though." Gabrielle says. "To deny your children just like that."

"Some people just aren't meant to be parents." Xena says. "But at least Janice and Asher reunited."

"Yeah, you're right."  Gabrielle says as she turns the page to the new entry and starts to read, "Janice and I decided to stay another day. Janice needed to reflect on meeting Asher. Meeting the brother that she never knew just about floored her, and she just needed a day to regroup. But little did we know, Pablo would show up, and that, we weren't prepared for."

The scene now pans to outside the hotel room; Pablo emerges and looks around. He notices the truck and runs to it, opening the driver's side door. He notices that the keys are gone then looks around to figure out where Mel and Janice are.

"Where can they be!" Pablo says seriously. He sees the door to a room open, and Mel and Janice walk out with their bags.

The women quickly notices Pablo, and Janice draws her gun, aims it at him, and says angrily, "You bastard!! Give one reason why I shouldn't kill you now!"

Pablo stares at them, then the gun, and says, "Hear me out, Senorita's!"

"You tried to con us out of scrolls that mean a lot to us!" Mel yells. "Shooting you would be the right thing to do at this point!"

"I understand this, but when I was tied up, I had time to think!" Pablo says. "Please! I'm truly sorry."

Janice cocks her gun and says, "Save it!"

"Ok! Before you kill me, let's make a deal, si!" Pablo says. "What I've told you about the Phoenix is all true! Cortez wants the Phoenix to bring back Ares. If you let me continue on with you ladies, I will be on my best behavior; if not, you can kill me! I have nothing to lose! My wife and unborn child are gone. Please! You two need me!"

Mel and Janice stare seriously at Pablo. Janice sighs, uncocks her pistol, and says, "You are driving! When we stop to rest, you will be tied to a chair, where we can keep an eye on you!"

"Janice! You're going to let him continue with us?" Mel seriously asks.

Janice whispers in Mel's ear, "Would you rather have him trail us!" Mel shakes her head no, and then Janice says to Pablo, "We will be watching you!"

"Of course, Senorita's," Pablo says. "You're going to need my help anyway when we come across the head-hunter that Cortez hired. From what I heard, he's a dangerous man!"

Janice and Mel smirk, and Janice says, "Don't worry about him! We took care of him!"

A shocked look comes across Pablo's face, and he says, "You, you took care of him?!?"

"Yeah! He won't be bothering us. Let's just say that he went back home, where he belongs!" Janice says as she tosses a scared-looking Pablo the keys, as Mel and her put their bags in the back and then says, "Well, let's go!"

An hour later, they are driving through the territory. Mel and Janice keep a watchful eye on Pablo, for he knows that if he loses their trust, it could be his death. He glances over at the two women and asks, "So, the head-hunter, is he dead?"

"No!" Janice says. "We just talked some sense into him. My question is, how the hell did you find us?"

"I gave you directions; you just followed them. That town was the only town with fuel in a four hundred-mile radius. I hitched a ride when I got myself untied and found the truck at the motel you were staying at." Pablo says. "Again, I am truly sorry for what I did."