1 Like A Nightmare

Chapter 1 (Like A Nightmare)

I heard the glasses being shattered, the screams that were made and it broke my heart. I can't believe they ended up like this. I thought I was dreaming, but I wasn't. It felt like a delirious nightmare that kept repeating itself.

***

It was friday night, I was 10 years old and my mom was about to come home from work. I sat on the couch watching my favorite tv show, when I heard the door open.

My mom and her boyfriend came home.

When I looked at the way my mom's boyfriend Ryan walked, I realized he was really drunk. It was weird, because I was just 10, but I always knew what was going on, and I definitely was smarter than most of the kids in my age.

I got up, unsure if I should hide or say hello.

I was used to it. My mom's boyfriend was usually drunk on fridays and saturdays. But I never really got any instructions of how I should behave when he is intoxicated.

My mom never really got drunk. She was smart, beautiful, had a great job, and never even thought about touching alcohol or drugs.

I waved at Ryan and forced a smile. He frowned and came up to me. My heart started thumping and pounding and I felt sweat built up. Drunk people's behaviour always scared the crap out of me. When he was in front of me, he shut his eyes and literally just lost his balance. He fell on me without me expecting it. I banged my head against the hard wooden floor. "Mom!" I called angrily. I waited for a response, but nothing came. I used all my energy to push the unconscious Ryan off of me.

When I got up I heard something stump around. It must be a neighbor or so. I walked to my mother's room and discovered her moving around like she is crazy.

She looked weird and I've never seen her like this before. I remembered a class when they told us about 'epileptic attacks'. It made a person move around hysterically and be unconscious of what was going on. And that was exactly how my mom was moving around at that moment. I was so confused but scared.

''Mom?'' I cautiously muttered. ''Mom?'' I repeated anxiously, but a bit louder. I moved closer towards her to discover her eyes closed and her hands shaking around like crazy. ''MOM!'' I exclaimed in tears. My hands were trembling and I was really scared. What should I do? I grabbed her phone that was lying on her desk, and dialed the number 911. When someone picked up, my mom suddenly fell on the floor. Her body was numb and she was silent. I heard a ''hello?'' on the other end. I was shocked. How did my mom just collapse? I got back to reality and answered: ''Hi, here's Katy George, I'm 10 years old and my mom is unconscious in my apartment. I live at the Newton Street, please help me!'' The woman on the other end said the sanitors are on their way and I should remain calm.

After 10 mins the ambulance arrived and my mom was still unconsciously lying on the floor. I sat beside her the entire time, and studied her face. She was really pale. But, I mean, really. She had a cut on her left arm that definitely must've happened today or yesterday. I was really worried about her. My face was soaked, because of the tear drops I shed. I heard the doorbell ring and I quickly opened the door. Three guys walked in. I pointed my arm towards the direction my mom was at.

I followed them into my mom's room, and found a surprise: My mom was standing there like nothing had happened. I knitted my eye brows in confusion. The sanitors looked back at me, in confusion as well. I shrugged and made an innocent face. ''Is that the unconscious person you were talking about on the phone?'' they asked me. ''Yeah... Ummm.... Sorry, I-I.. I didn't know... she... she was... awake...,'' I told them. They looked at each other and looked back at me. ''It's fine. Call us if there's another emergency. Okay?'' one of the guys said. I nodded while I looked to the ground.

My mom made a sympathetic expression while she looked at me. I could feel her eyes on me like 2 laser lights. As soon as the guys left, my mom came up to me with with an expression that said I-am-really-sorry-you-had-to-see-that. I stared at her in disbelief. ''Honey, I-I...,'' she herself looked like she didn't know what to say.

Her expression told me she was looking for words, but just couldn't find them. ''I recently started to... Take a medicine,'' she quickly said. A medicine? Why would my mother be taking a medicine? ''Why?'' I mumbled. She looked to the ground. What was going on? I knew she was hiding something she didn't want to tell me. ''Just tell me, mom,'' I snapped. She stayed silent and didn't look up at me. ''What's the big deal? Can you please just tell me what is going on?'' I whispered disappointed. Something was wrong about this.

She looked like she had a bad conscience. ''It's because I... I have nightmares every single night, and this medicine is supposed to stop it. I'm really sorry. This incident happened, because I took too much of it... So sorry...,'' she mumbled sympathetically. I could tell she was sorry. She truly was. She came up to me, kissed my forehead and wrapped her arms around me. I hugged her back. As much as I hated what happened, I loved my mom to bits. She was an amazing person and I loved her for who she was. Even though I was still a bit suspicious about the medicine thing I didn't care in that moment. I thought I was going to forget about the incident anyway, so who cares?

Unless it happened again...

Author's note: Hey guys! Please comment, vote and become a fan if you like it :)