16 When You Least Want It, It Haunts You

_____________________

My long, yellow summer dress bounced all over the place. Tossing my hair in the air, I let the wind pour through streaks of it. 

My wooden-ish beach bag was hanging loosely on my shoulder. It kept banging against my waist, but I didn't mind it at all. I made a pirouette on the pavement, as If I were dancing.

I couldn't wait to see James.

It was thursday, 7PM, and the sun was still out. The sunshine spilled through oak trees, that were neatly placed in a row, at the street, creating a scattered light on the grasses.

Beverly Hills. No school tomorrow.

An amused sigh escaped my lips.

The vibrating headphones blasting music into my ears made everything feel surreal. Music surely can make you feel happier.

Everything was perfect!

For the first time in my life, I felt like there was nothing to worry about. I often lied to myself, saying, there really wasn't anything to worry about. But in the back of my mind I deeply knew, there was so much that made me feel anxious. Now it was reality. Mom's back. Sober. I had a boyfriend who adored me. Unfortunately I didn't adore him, but why would it matter, when everything feels so flawless? I was able to appreciate and love my life.

That's what matters.

My whole black and white world became colorful.

The sudden swift change in music indicated someone was calling me at the moment. My eardrums began to hurt from my ringtone. I apruptly ripped the earphones out of my ears, and pulled them out of my phone.

"Hello?" I answered, after positioning the phone next to my right ear.

I hadn't even checked the display. Woops.

"Hey Katy! It's uh..." It was Justin. I recognized his voice that made my stomach melt and my heart plummet to the base of my feet. God, my thoughts...

"Justin," he spoke up. "When do you wanna do something tomorrow? Katy?"

"I'm glad you called. I'm really sorry, but we need to do it on Saturday, I kind of don't have time tomorrow..."

There was a beat.

"Uh, yeah. Dass fine."

"Really?" I was certain he already had something in store.

"Of course, absolutely."

A few pregnant seconds crept by.

"Anyways," we both said at the same time. I giggled as he chortled simultaneously.

"So, Saturday?" he reassured.

"Yes," I confirmed with a strong voice.

"Okay, bye!"

"Bye." I hung up, dropping my phone into my bag, next to my trainers.

Then I let out the air I realized I had held. My speed didn't pick up as before. Uncertain steps followed after each other. Luckily I wasn't in heels. That would've been a disaster.

My gaze was locked on the dirty grey pavement.

Then I cocked my head, eyeing my setting. I totally lost track of my way. My head shot to the right, my eyes moving along the unfamiliar white houses. On my left there were even more unfamiliar pale houses.