Wherever You Are is My Home Part 3

Two mornings later, Penny, overcome with curiosity, decided to visit Green Gables. The entire walk over, she couldn't stop being so fretted for Matthew's health. She had heard nothing from the Cuthberts the day before and she was finally unable to contain herself.

As she approached the farm, she was surprised to see Anne and a young boy loading up a carriage filled with possessions. The redhead looked up and a smile came to her face.

"Penny!" she exclaimed. She ran over and the two girls hugged. Penny was immediately relieved. She figured that Matthew couldn't be too bad considering Anne's semi-high spirits.

"How's Matthew?" she decided to ask anyway as they pulled away.

Anne sighed, all of a sudden seeming much more grown up than she should. "The doctor expects him to be okay, but he'll be out of commission for several months so Marilla and I are handling everything. Matthew took out a lot of money and the payback date is very near, so we are selling most of our possessions as well as putting an advertisement in the newspaper."

"Oh, Anne. If I had known, I would have brought something to contribute."

Anne immediately shook her head. "We would never wish for you to do that. Marilla doesn't like charity."

The two started walking back over to the carriage.

"It wouldn't be charity," Penny denied. "It would be helping people I love."

Anne smiled. "You love us?"

Penny returned the smile and put her arm around the young girl. "Of course I do."

The young boy turned as they reached him.

"H-Hello," he greeted nervously, a strong French accent battering his voice.

"Hello," Penny replied kindly. "What's your name?"

"Jerry. I work for the Cuthberts...for now anyways. I'm going to Charlottetown with Anne."

Penny didn't get to reply to his odd hesitation as a voice suddenly called for Anne. The three turned to see Diana running up to them, carrying a small bag with her.

"Diana!" Anne exclaimed. "What are you doing here?"

"I'm so glad I caught you," the raven-haired girl panted. "I brought you something to sell." She opened the bag and pulled out a beautiful hairbrush.

"Oh, Diana, are you sure?"

"Of course I'm sure." The two girls hugged.

Marilla came out from the house, her eyebrows furrowing when she saw the group of kids.

"Penny?" she asked as Anne climbed into the carriage. "What are you doing here?"

"I just...came to see Matthew," she explained, a little breathless all of a sudden.

The older woman nodded. "Good morning, Diana."

"Good morning, Miss Cuthbert," Diana replied. "I just came to say goodbye."

Marilla turned to address Anne. "Be sure to get to Miss Barry's by nightfall. Be safe."

"We will," Anne promised. "Be sure to tell Matthew not to worry." She kissed Marilla on the cheek. "Everything will be alright. You'll see."

Anne and Jerry rode away, leaving Penny, Marilla, and Diana there watching them.

Diana quickly bid her farewell and then there were two.

Marilla turned to Penny. "You said you wanted to see Matthew? Come on inside."

Penny silently followed her inside and upstairs to where a sleeping Matthew laid in bed.