What We Have Been Makes Us What We Are Part 2

At the end of the day, Penny watched her classmates trickle out of the schoolhouse as Gilbert talked to Ms. Stacy about his vocation. She saw Anne watching him with a stubborn look on her face.

"So I'm hoping you wouldn't mind tutoring me," he inquired. "I'm worried I'm behind and I'm very serious about medicine as my vocation."

Ms. Stacy gave him a kind smile. "My husband accelerated his studies and got early entrance into college."

"Husband?!" Anne cried, directing all eyes to her.

Ms. Stacy tensed. "I'm widowed, actually."

Anne donned a fascinated smile. "Oh, how tragical."

There was a moment of silence as Penny shot her a look that said Please close your mouth for once. Anne shrunk into herself a little.

"Anyway," Ms. Stacy forced out, her attention returning to Gilbert. "With hard work, it's possible you could finish school early and be pre-med next year."

Penny's ears perked up. She hadn't been expecting to hear that.

"I'll do whatever it takes," Gilbert replied earnestly, a hopeful gleam in his eyes.

"Let's meet before class in the mornings and get you started."

"Thank you! Thank you so much."

She smiled and turned to Penny. "Have you decided on your vocation?"

Penny chuckled softly. "Not quite, but I have a few ideas. I'll be graduating this year, as well."

Her kind expression didn't waver. "Well, you are more than welcome to join your brother in our tutoring sessions if you would like."

Penny smiled, not used to being seen like this. "Thank you, Ms. Stacy. I will definitely consider it."

She and Gilbert bid their goodbyes and headed out into the crisp winter weather, hearing Anne's voice behind them as they left.

"She was certainly a presence today," Gilbert commented, seeming uncomfortable.

Penny chuckled. "Isn't she always? She's definitely taken a liking to Ms. Stacy, though."

"I just hope she's able to control it. Airing out everyone's business was not only inappropriate, but quite uncomfortable."

Penny looked over at her brother and smiled. "Gil, you're not the best at pretending to be cross, especially with Anne. It doesn't suit you."

Gilbert rolled his eyes, allowing a small smile. "I certainly like Ms. Stacy. She's like a breath of fresh air after Mr. Phillips."

"I agree. Although, her unorthodox ways may not make her exceedingly popular amongst the rest of Avonlea."

When he didn't respond, Penny looped her arm through his and the two trekked the rest of the way home.

———
AN: hello my loves!! i apologize for how short this chapter is, i just wanted to get this out to all of you to prove that i'm not dead 😂