Youth is the Season of Hope Part 4

Penny sat at the dining room table and listened as Anne and Mr. Dunlop worked on a pie together. Despite Anne's joyful laughter while speaking with him, Penny no longer had any hope in the boarders. Nate had invaded her space all too many times and her instincts were screaming at her that they weren't here with pure intentions.

"Would you like to join us, Penny?" Mr. Dunlop called from the kitchen.

Icy hands gripping her presence, she looked up and forced a smile onto her face. "No, thank you. I could never impede on Anne's vision."

Soon, the duo's singing filled the room and Penny bolted upstairs, feeling trapped in what was supposed to be her safe haven.

•••

Penny didn't leave her room for the rest of the day. Sensing her discomfort, Marilla had thankfully let the young woman eat dinner away from the family.

A knock on the door brought her back to reality.

"Come in," she called.

Anne bounded in the room and sat on her bed. "Penny! You missed it; Mr. Dunlop told the funniest joke at dinner. He had the whole table in an uproar, even Matthew!"

"I heard," Penny replied, squeezing her voice out.

The redhead's shoulders sagged. "Are you alright? You've been behaving oddly these past few weeks."

Though Penny had her automatic "Yes, I'm fine" reply at the tip of her tongue, she couldn't bring herself to let it out.

She sighed. "Do you ever get an odd feeling from Nate and Mr. Dunlop? As if they have ill intentions?"

Anne furrowed her brow in thought. "Well, Nate can be off-putting, yes, but Mr. Dunlop feels like a big brother to me. Why, are you feeling uncomfortable?"

Penny wanted to elaborate, but she stopped herself. "I guess I'm just being paranoid. Don't worry about it."

Though it was clear that Anne wanted to press, she simply smiled and moved to hug Penny.

•••

Later that night, Penny had just fallen asleep when she was shaken awake.

She groggily opened her eyes to see Anne standing above her.

"Anne, what is it?" she asked tiredly, squinting in the light of her candle.

"I just heard Mr. Dunlop and Nate talking," she gossiped quietly. "There's gold in Avonlea!"

This woke Penny up. "They're sure?"

She nodded. "Nate's conflicted over whether to tell everyone or to take it to his boss in New York. This is so unexpected. Our little Avonlea is housing gold??"

Penny sighed, apprehension nagging at her. "We'll talk about it in the morning. We can't have a coherent conversation on sleep's doorstep."

Anne nodded and got up to leave, but turned back.

"Could I sleep with you tonight?"

Penny smiled, secretly grateful she had asked. "Yes, of course."

Together, the girls were asleep within minutes.

•••

The next morning, Anne was on her way to deliver scones to Rachel Lynde. This seemed like a dangerous game to Penny.

Before Anne could leave, she pulled her aside.

"Don't tell Mrs. Lynde," she whispered. "You know the whole town would be in an uproar by tonight."