Wherever You Are is My Home

As Penny drew closer to the Avonlea train station, almost being dragged by Gilbert, she couldn't begin to wrap her head around losing two family members in one week: one by death, the other by the need to explore...or escape.

"You have been awfully quiet this past hour," her brother commented guiltily.

"I can't imagine why," Penny whispered, still in her own head.

These words made Gilbert stop in his tracks. He turned to her.

"Should I stay here?" he asked in concern. "I truly don't like leaving you here."

Realizing she wasn't upholding her older sisterly duties, she sighed and forced a smile, putting her hand on his face. "It's not your job to accommodate me, Gil. I'll be okay. I'll just miss you terribly, that's all."

Gilbert didn't respond and Penny took the opportunity to check on the bruise on Gilbert's cheek.

She sighed as she removed her hand and continued to walk. "I still cannot believe you got into a fight."

Her brother exhaled defiantly and followed her. "Billy had no right to be speaking the way he was."

"And you had no right to start throwing punches!" she exclaimed. "You are so intelligent, Gil. We use our words no matter how we're feeling."

There was a moment of silent before Gilbert mumbled, "And here I thought my mother was dead."

The abrupt comment hit Penny like a bullet in the heart. Suddenly, she found it difficult to breathe, completely rendered silent.

Finally, he spoke again. "I'm sorry, Penny," he stated, seeming quite upset with himself. "I didn't mean that." He reached over and grabbed her hand, immediately grounding her.

Regaining a normal breathing pattern, she turned to him and offered small yet forgiving smile. "I am happy you wanted to stand up for Anne. She's been going through a lot lately."

He nodded. "We had a bit of a...falling out at the funeral. Even if she didn't word a few things the best, she was only trying to help and I completely snapped at her. I feel awful."

She rubbed his shoulder. "If I don't see her today, I'll make sure to check on her at school tomorrow, alright?"

He sighed and nodded in thanks. Finally the two reached the train station. After Gilbert got his ticket, Penny immediately pulled him into a hug.

"Write to me if you get ahead on a steamship, okay?" she told him. "If not, I'll see you in two weeks." He nodded against her shoulder. She pulled away and looked him straight in the eye.

"You be safe," she demanded, sounding like his mother. "Keep up with your studies and write to me often." She put her hand on his face. "I love you. Dad would be proud."

He smiled emotionally. "I love you, too, Penny."

She gave him a quick kiss on the cheek before sending him on his way.

Once he found his seat, the two made eye contact and waved to each other as the train slowly pulled away.

She waved until the train was out of sight before slowly lowering her hand.

Holding back tears, she took a deep breath and began her walk home, which now only she resided in.

She couldn't believe she had lost her father and brother in the span of a week.

———
AN: hi my loves!! i am so so so so so sorry this took like 84 years. i was rehearsing for a show that i've now finished and motivation can be tricky for me sometimes. i hope you enjoyed this chapter anyway!