I Protest Against Any Absolute Conclusion Part 4

Penny would typically never don a fancy dress for a simple trip to Green Gables, but with it being for Christmas Eve dinner, she found herself pulling her deep green dress from the back of her closet.

She always loved how she looked with it on. She would even find herself admiring herself in the mirror on occasion, something that rarely ever happened. It made her feel beautiful.

Considering she was nearing her 18th birthday, she decided to try on her corset and sweep her hair into a bun. Both changes were a bit uncomfortable, but she knew she would need to become accustomed to them if she were to fit into her society.

There was a knock on her bedroom door and Gilbert peeked his head in.

"Are you ready to head over?" he asked. He had donned a sophisticated suit himself.

Checking her appearance one last time in the mirror, she smiled and nodded. "Yes, I'm ready."

As they and Bash headed into the cold winter, Penny furrowed her brow as she saw her brother stuff a tiny package into his coat pocket.

•••

The three stood outside Green Gables as Penny knocked on the door. After living there for a year, she would normally head straight in, but with Gilbert and Bash beside her, she felt it would be impolite.

Matthew was the first to open the door with Marilla standing beside him. He was clearly taken aback by Bash, so Marilla spoke first.

"Merry Christmas to you all!" she greeted happily.

"And to you," Gilbert replied with a smile.

"Do come in," she ushered before shooting Matthew an annoyed look.

The three headed into the parlor as Marilla introduced Bash to Matthew, the two shaking hands.

"What a lovely home," Bash complimented, looking around. He glanced at Penny and Gilbert. "Nice and warm."

The two chuckled.

"Bash has never had a winter before," Penny explained to Matthew and Marilla. "It is a bit of a shock to him."

"Let me take your coats," Marilla offered.

Thanking her, the three removed their coats and scarves.

"Penny, you look lovely!" she complimented. "Like a young woman."

Penny smiled. "Oh, thank you, Marilla. I feel like a young woman. An uncomfortable young woman, but I will adapt."

"Oh!" Bash exclaimed, heading for his coat pocket. "I almost forgot." He took out a small jar and handed it to Marilla.

Albeit clearly confused, she accepted it with a smile. "My, how very kind of you."

"It's curry," he explained.

"Curry?"

"Yes, it's a blend of fantastic spices. It's good for stews."

"How nice! We eat a lot of stew here. Won't you sit down?"

The three thanked her and took a seat on the couch.

Penny could tell Marilla felt a bit awkward, but it was clear she was truly trying and it made her smile.

After a slightly prolonged silence, Matthew finally spoke.

"I, uh, I wonder what's become of Anne."

Bash smiled and shot a knowing look at Gilbert. "I'm looking forward to meeting Anne. I've heard so much about her."