Tightly Knotted to a Similar String Part 2

The next day, the Blythe children were relieved to see their father doing relatively well. Normally, Saturdays were spent outside with the animals, however in the cruel wintery weekends, Penny and Gilbert would argue over who had to milk the cow.

Today, it was woefully Penny's turn while Gilbert spent time with dad and read to him. If anyone were to see her, she was sure they would mistake her for an Eskimo all bundled up the way she was. Penny Blythe could endure many hardships, Lord knew she had already, but the cold would always be quite a difficult one.

Finally filling up a bucket with milk, she took time to warm her hands. She would have worn mittens, but the feeling always freaked out their cow.

She stood up and pat the animal, whom the Blythes called Tia.

"I hope you're staying warm out here, Tia," she said softly before quickly running inside, audibly shivering by the fire for the next twenty minutes.

•••

The next morning, Penny and Gilbert remained silent as they brushed their respective horses, an unspoken agreement between the two of them.

Their father's previous good day did not last. In fact, it did the opposite. He was worse than ever. They knew his time was short.

The two turned as Mrs. Kincannon approached them. They were both thankful to have her.

"Not going to school today?" she asked softly, as if worried about setting one of them off.

Gilbert turned to Penny, willing her to speak instead of him.

Penny sighed. "We just feel...like we should stay close for now."

Mrs. Kincannon nodded understandingly before walking off.

Penny exhaled shakily, fighting to remain strong. As if understanding her turmoil, Caramel, Penny's horse, nudged her with her snout, eliciting a small chuckle from her.

However, she was sure that her heart would never feel quite right again.

•••

Later that day, Gilbert was chopping firewood while Penny gathered the hay from the somewhat warmer protection of the barn. Everything was more physically exerting in the winter.

Looking towards the house, Penny was shocked to see Anne standing at their front door. In front of her father.

"Dad!" she called, immediately alert. She ran over, Gilbert following her. "What are you doing? You're not supposed to be walking!"

He chuckled. "Oh, my children worry too much. It seems this young lady had urgent business with you two."

Looking between Anne and Gilbert, she sighed. "Come on, dad, let's get you to bed. Good to see you, Anne."

After returning her father to his room, Penny found a place where she could watch the exchange between her brother and Anne without being seen.

After a moment or two, Anne walked off and Gilbert came inside. Seeing her, he rolled his eyes.

"You can stop spying now," he stated.

Penny cleared her throat and fixed her hair. "I'm not sure what you are referring to, I was not spying. What did Anne need?"

He held up some books. "Mr. Phillips had her bring these to us."

"Oh. Well, that was kind of her."

Gilbert gave a dry chuckle. "I'm surprised she agreed. She's still not very fond of me."

Penny shrugged. "Give her time, Gil. She considers you competition. It may take her a bit to learn how to be friends with you, too."

Gilbert stood at the window watching her walk off. "I suppose so."