Signs are Small Measurable Things, but Interpretations are Illimitable Part 2

For a reason unbeknownst to Penny, Cole had been moved to Gilbert's empty seat, right next to her. Though she and Cole were not very close, she did enjoy no longer sitting next to an empty chair.

While Mr. Phillips blandly recited Tennyson's work, which Anne was most enraptured in, Penny couldn't help stealing glances at the drawing Cole was working on. It pictured a knight on a horse at the foot of a glorious castle.

"That's a beautiful drawing, Cole," Penny whispered to him. "You are really quite talented."

A startled blush rose to Cole's cheeks, as if he was unaware he had been noticed. "Oh....thank you, Penny."

"I think this entire poem is shameful," Josie claimed loudly, bringing the brunette's attention back to class. "They should be tarred and feathered."

"Josie," Mr. Phillips went to interrupt.

"Guinevere is married to the king, not Lancelot."

"Oh, Mr. Phillips," Anne spoke up, clearly still in love with the poem. "Can't you skip to the part where Elaine's pure and true love turns most tragical?"

"No," he replied bluntly. "Do not interrupt me again."

The reciting of the poem continued. Penny read along, tapping her pen against the book rhythmically.

This was interrupted when the sound of ink spilling caused a commotion. She turned to see ink covering Cole's sketchbook and Billy quickly hiding a ruler. Her blood boiled as she realized what had happened.

Cole stood up in panic, shoving the book to the ground to stop any more liquid from covering it.

Mr. Phillips stopped his recitation and looked to the scene.

"Cole?" he voiced sternly. "What have you got there?"

Instead of answering, the young boy turned to glare daggers at Billy. When the teacher said his name a second time, he finally responded.

"My apologies, Mr. Phillips. I'll clean it up."

"Are you doodling while I'm tirelessly dedicating my life to your education?" he asked, as if this was the biggest offense a single person could commit in life. "Blackboard!"

"Mr. Phillips," Penny spoke up, unable to keep quiet. "This really isn't necessary. I'll help him clean it up."

"Quiet, Penny," he commanded. "Your input is not wanted nor warranted right now."

As Cole walked up to the front, Anne rushed over and helped Penny pick up the mess on the floor.

Everyone watched as Mr. Phillips wrote "I will not draw in class" on the board.

"You like to draw?" he asked, turning back to Cole. "Draw that. Make sure it's legible."

Shamefully, Cole did as he was told. Doing so revealed his quite beautiful handwriting. It made Penny a bit jealous as she could not come close to that stature.

Of course, everyone else chuckled as Mr. Phillips erased his writing. "Less flourish. You'll need room for fifty of those."

It was all Penny could do to bring her eyes back to the book.

•••

The next morning, Penny sat on the porch with Jerry and Matthew. Though she had brought a book with her, she had instead been enjoying the rare opportunity she had to get to know Jerry.

Eventually, Marilla came out with coffee for the three of them.

As they all thanked her, Penny noticed the older woman wearing her hair in a fancy style she had never seen before. Her heart sank, knowing she could only be doing it for Nate.