I Protest Against Any Absolute Conclusion Part 2

Having Gilbert by her side once again on her walk to school made Penny's mind almost pause. It had been a year since she was able to do this mundane activity with him and she wasn't sure she could handle it.

"I sure hope you've kept up your studies on the ship," she voiced to her brother.

He chuckled and rubbed the back of his neck. "I have. Enough to be able to follow along in class, at least. I'm more concerned about regaining my footing today. Has much changed at school?"

Penny sighed, trying to think. "Well, it seems Mr. Phillips and Prissy are on the brink of engagement, much to my disgust. A few girls have taken an interest in Cole since harvest, and all of the boys seemed to have grown a meter overnight. Other than that, not really. Ruby is still gone for you, Billy is still a tool, and Mr. Phillips is still miserable."

"Anne is still Anne, I suppose?" he asked. His cheeks were bright red, though it could've been from the biting winter wind.

"Of course," Penny giggled. "Though, she has seemed a bit more worried about her looks. She's been behaving a bit odd lately because of them."

"Her looks?" he repeated, seeming bewildered. "Whatever for?"

Penny shrugged. "That is one conversation I'm not sure how to have with her."

It was at that moment that the school came into view. This made Gilbert pause.

She turned to him, confused. "Gil? Are you alright?"

He looked to her and offered a little smile. "Of course. It's still just odd being home after a year.
How will everyone even react to me?"

Penny smiled and squeezed his arm. "Gil, everyone loves you. They will be so excited to see you."

The siblings looked at each other for a moment before Gilbert nodded and the two walked to the door.

They had about enough time to remove their coats before everyone else noticed them.

"Gilbert!!!" they all yelled in unison. They immediately pulled him into the room and surrounded him. Penny laughed and removed her hat, gloves, and scarf before joining the group, squeezing her way to the middle to join her brother.

The next few minutes flew by with everyone fighting to ask Gilbert questions about his trip
and give him either a hug or a handshake. He accommodated the best he could, but Penny could tell it was a bit overwhelming for him.

As the excitement wore off and some students began to sit down, Penny noticed that neither Anne or Diana were anywhere to be seen.

Odd and odder still, she thought to herself.

However, he questions were answered when the chatter died down almost immediately and Penny saw everyone looking towards the entrance.

She and Gilbert, who had noticed at the same time, followed everyone's gaze to see Anne walking in with her head down and her hair completely chopped off.

Penny's eyes widened. She would later come up with a million possible paths that could lead the young girl to end up this way, but at that moment, her brain seemed to be malfunctioning.

Through her own shock and everyone else's murmurs and giggles, Penny noticed her brother's eyes immediately light up, albeit seeming surprised, as well.

As he walked up to her, Anne raised her gaze and immediately froze when she saw him. The murmurs formed a group around them.

"Anne," he voiced with a smile through his slight shock.

"You're back," she replied breathlessly.

"Yes," he confirmed. "Hi."

"There's no gold," she blurted out.