24: Morning Ritual

"Ying-Er, is that a letter?"

"Yes, Mama."

"Xiaolian?"

"Yes, Mama..."

"Ying-Er?" Cangse Sanren scooted closer to her son. "Anything the matter? You sound... distant...?"

"Mama................"

"A-Ying!" Lan Zhan walked in through the wide open doors of Cangse Sanren's house.

"A-Zhan!" Wei Wuxian dumped the letter on the table and ran to the door, giving his husband a big hug. "Where were you? You weren't here when I woke up!"

"I told A-Ying."

"Last night? Ah, you went to Nie-xiong's conference. Sorry, sorry, I forgot and I was worrying... I missed you, darling," he nuzzled his nose on Lan Zhan's chest.

Lan Zhan chuckled softly.

"Ey? Is that a laugh I heard?" He looked up at the Jade's face.

"It's noon. You probably just woke up?"

"Yeah, yeah," Wei Wuxian grinned, eyes squeezing shut under the smile of his cheeks. "But even if it's just three hours since I woke up, I missed you, you dummy! Hmph!"

"Mn," Lan Wangji nodded. "Three seconds would have been enough for me."

"To miss me? Had I gone?"

"Mn."

Wei Wuxian melted into his arms.

Lan Zhan bent down and kissed his forehead. "Why's Mama so........... worried?" He nodded towards their mother, seated beside the table, frowning as she read the letter Wei Wuxian had tossed away.

"Oh......... that................. Come on, come sit with us," Wei Wuxian held him by the arm and made him sit beside him at the table. "On second thoughts..." he grinned and sat on Lan Zhan's lap, arms propped up on the table. "There, you aren't going anywhere else for the day."

"Mn."

"Mama? You read it?"

"Yes, I was waiting for you two to finish," she laughed.

"MAMA!" Wei Wuxian pouted, blushing furiously. Indeed, he had absolutely forgotten she was there.

"Haha! Zhan-Er, there you are, this silly idiot's been whining about you for the past three hours to me, Sizhui, Jingyi, Lan Hao, Jin Xiyi, Lan Qiang, Wen Qionglin, everyone he could find. Even Yuanhua!"

"Mama! Hush!"

"What hush, I'm telling it all, hahahaha! And you know what he said to Xiyi?"

"AAAAARGH!" Wei Wuxian screamed above her voice. "LA LA LA LAAAA! CAN'T HEAR YOUUUUU!"

Lan Zhan nodded to Cangse Sanren and silently put the silencing charm on Wei Wuxian.

"CAN'T HEAR– MMMM! Mhmmmm!"

"What is it, Mama?" Lan Zhan grinned.

"He said..." she winked to a pouting Wei Wuxian. "That he wished he was a girl like Xiyi, so that he could bear child like Xiyi, and then you'd have to stay put in Cloud Recesses without going around for work, like Jingyi."

Wei Wuxian growled.

Another soft chuckle escaped Lan Wangji's smiling lips. "A-Ying, really?"

Wei Ying growled again.

"You sound more like a Kun Peng than a human right now."

"Mmmm!"

Lan Zhan smiled and removed the charm.