30: Duel Of Aqua Beasts

A bright yellow butterfly fluttered into the Library where Lan Wangji was going through music manuscripts for Jin Ling and Wei Wuxian was still admiring the Qiong Qi's painting, while searching for more on it. "A-Zhan."

"Mn?"

"Letter," Wei Wuxian pointed to the window.

Lan Zhan looked up from his book and reached out to let the butterfly settle on his hand and dissipate.

"What is it?"

"Your sister's here."

"Sister.....? XIAOLIAN?"

"Mn."

"Woohoo!" Wei Wuxian hopped up and rushed outside.

Lan Wangji sighed. Wei Xiaolian was a lovely person now, but he just could not tolerate how Wei Wuxian paid her so much attention... all the time...

Grumbling, he sauntered out of the Library. 

**********

"XIAOLIAN! My darling meimei's back– X– Xiaoqing!"

"Gege, come help, quick!" Wei Xiaolian waved to him at the gate. Wei Wuxian hurried to her and nodded to the guards to let them in. Wei Xiaolian was supporting Chang Xiaoqing the rogue cultivator who returned from Dongying, but who Wei Wuxian remembered as the girl who sent Lan Zhan love letters when younger. 

"I met her outside Gusu, somewhere around Wuxi. Gege, could you help me take her to the Healing Hall?"

"Chang Xiaoqing, what on earth have you gotten yourself into?" Wei Wuxian shook his head, looking up and down the woman leaning on his sister, pale orange robes tainted with blood leaking from her arm and leg. "Tell me whatever you encountered didn't bite off your leg!"

"No, Yingxiong Laozu. Just a scratch... Ahem, ahack!" Wei Wuxian's hackles raised at the bad blood spilling out of her mouth.

"Goodness, come let's go see Yuanhua and Wen Ning fast," he bent down.

"Oi! Don't carry me!"

"Tch, fine then," Wei Wuxian rolled his eyes and nodded to Xiaolian. His sister let go of her friend and stepped aside. Wei Wuxian slung Chang Xiaoqing's better arm over his shoulders and held her by the waist, lifting her a bit off the ground with his increased strength to carry-walk her to the Healing Hall. On the way, he spoke to Xiaolian. "Meimei, what happened?"

"She said she met some beast at the Grand Canal in Wuxi. Bloody thing almost bit her limbs off, apparently."

"When did you find her?"

"It's wonderful, I should say. I happened to come across her in a forest near the said river, she said it was minutes after the battle."

"Xiaoqing, you killed the beast?"

"No, injured it e– enough......... ahack....... Enough for it to retreat."

"Good," Wei Wuxian nodded. "Aqua beast, eh? Allow me to deal with that," he winked and she rolled her eyes through the bleeding. "HEY! Qiang-Er!" Wei Wuxian shouted at the woman walking past.

Wei Xiaolian ran up to her. "Qiang-jiejie!"

"Ah, Xiaolian! What on earth!" Lan Qiang gasped when she saw the bleeding woman.

"Qiang-jiejie, could you notify–"

"Mn," Lan Qiang rushed to the Healing Hall.

**********