39: Saviouress

"A-ZHAN!"

"Wangji!" Lan Xichen rushed towards his brother. Under the powerful smack of the tail, Lan Wangji, who had been fiercely battling the fire alongside Jiang Wanyin, had suddenly been thrown away. He lay on the grass now, slumping against the bark of a tall tree, his head smashed into the trunk.

"Wangji! Wangji, wake up!" Xichen shook him.

Sizhui knelt beside them and checked his father. "He's probably just had cranial trauma, Lan Shushu," he reassured him and passed spiritual energy into Lan Zhan's forehead.

Jiang Cheng tsk-ed. "NIE-XIONG! I need help!"

"But– But... what, to FAN the flames? I'm busy tackling this end of the wildfire! Sizhui!" Huaisang called.

"Coming! Lan Shushu–"

"I'll do it, you help Wanyin."

"Yes," Lan Sizhui nodded and rushed towards Jiang Wanyin.

Wei Wuxian looked around. We need one more person to help Huaisang tackle the other end of the forest fire... "A-Ning, go help Nie-xiong."

Wen Ning tried protesting but Wei Wuxian pursed his fanged mouth in determination. "Sure," Wen Ning sighed and hopped down to help.

Chen Xuanji slit a gash in Aria's arm out of anger at the sudden turn of events. "Why you– If Wangji-gege's hurt, mind you, this will be your last night under the moon."

Aria scowled, her still bleeding lip preventing her from talking too much.

Jin Ling stared up at his father, eyes questioning.

No... not questioning...

Pleading.

"Little Rulan?"

Jin Ling forbid himself from looking up at the sky; he raised his paw and pointed.

"GOOD LORD!" The Kun Peng roared, realising that all three Lans being busy shooed the music from existence. "No, no, no, Little Rulan, hold on!"

Jin Ling nodded furiously, writhing his tail, twisting his head left and right to ignore the effects of the red glaring moon.

No... no-no-no... why's everything turning to chaos all at once... A-Zhan, we need you...

Wei Ying swiped his tail at the afflicted Qiong Qi when the latter tried to attack Jin Ling. While fighting with the other beast, he saw the torn chest.

Cut like paper.

By a paper fan.

Paper cut paper.....................

Fire....... The Qiong Qi's biggest nuisance of a power was fire............

Paper cut paper.....................................

Fire........ against fire.........

Fire.........

The Qiong Qi's fire..........

Against fire..........

Wei Wuxian nodded to himself and rose his beautiful golden head to the air, ignoring the pain from the countless burnt scales in his neck being stretched.

Head stretched upwards to the sky, above the calamity threatening to unfold underneath his swishing fishtail, he opened his fanged mouth and roared.

Not a thunderous roar that shook the heavens.

But a desperate roar, shouting, requesting, calling.