5: Chaos in Lanling

Baoshan Sanren kept sending in her energy to soothe the man down, while Cangse kept sending in her own energy as well. In the meantime, Wei Wuxian remained seated, grasping his beloved's hands, rubbing their rings like they were magic lamps that could summon Lan Wangji's soul.

All he could do was watch. He was a demonic Immortal after all. Sending in his energy would probably damage the core of the already suffering Lan Wangji.

Never had he felt so helpless and worthless.

And yet, he wasn't hopeless. Wei Ying gripped the now less trembling hands and kept calling out to his husband.

A-Zhan...

A-Zhan... Wake up...

A-Zhan...

A-Ying? Lan Zhan's voice spoke in his head.

Wei Ying sighed with relief. There you are. Come on now, wake up!

Tired...

Darling, I'll let you rest for three days and let Mama and Grandma handle the healing till then. Come on, wake up now. I'll stay right here with you while you heal, yeah?

No need for three days.

Hmph, superhuman, aren't you?

Mn, Wei Ying could hear the mischievous peal in Lan Zhan's voice.

Hey, you better wake up or I'll give you the kiss of life in front of Mama and Grandma!

Shameless, Lan Zhan chuckled.

You know me! Now get up. Not getting up? Wei Ying bent down.

Baoshan Sanren and Cangse Sanren looked at each other. Cangse had heard it all.

Golden eyes shot open out of fear of losing shame in front of his elderly in-laws.

"Hahahahahaha!" Wei Wuxian roared with laughter. "Knew you'd wake up!"

Baoshan Sanren shook her head and sighed as she sat at the table. Cangse Sanren sat with her. Wei Wuxian remained on the bedside, still gripping Lan Zhan's hand. Lan Wangji slowly sat up on the bed and Wei Wuxian kept up a pillow. But Lan Zhan preferred to lean against him.

Of course, I've always been your pillow, hm? Wei Ying chuckled as he wrapped an arm around Lan Zhan's waist and held him close.

"Ahem," Cangse Sanren cleared her throat. "Mother, try and teach me a way to restrain my abilities, will you? Absolutely necessary when I'm with my sons, Huan-Er's no better than these two," she laughed.

"I'll see," Baoshan Sanren laughed and nodded. "So, Wangji, any better?"

"Mn. Thank you, Grandma, Mama," Lan Zhan nodded thankfully.

"Ah, what thanking for that. Though I must say, this energy passing is tiring," Baoshan Sanren sighed and stroked her chest lightly.

"Grandma..." Wei Wuxian shook his head. "Of course it'll be tiring! You guys didn't even take breaks!"

"Best to get them all done without giving time for spread," Cangse Sanren shrugged.

"But at this rate–"

"A-Ying, no other way," Lan Zhan spoke up.

"YOU! Keep shut!" Wei Ying pinched his nose. "You don't get to talk, you selfless idiot!"

"I am A-Ying's husband," Lan Zhan's shoulders rose and fell teasingly.

"Oh yeah? Right, true, this is karma for me, for all I've put you through. Happy now? I'm learning my lesson. Now then, you three better listen up. Hereafter, all this energy-passing should be done slowly. Hereafter, you guys are taking breaks between every twenty people you heal, alright? And we're done with Gusu so things will be better, Lanling, Qinghe and Bailing and the other places have less patients. We're staying today and tonight, leaving first thing tomorrow morning, yeah?"