47: Let Him Be

"Right. Now."

Wei Wuxian nodded to Jin Ling to console him.

Jin Ling stared back into his father's dark orbs. 'I'll make sure your Sizhui returns,' was what the other was telling. Smiling, Jin Ling walked outside, dragging his siblings along with him.

"But Jin Ling! You know Daddy's weird ways of saving people..."

"No, Jingyi. Daddy won't do that this time. At least not risking his life. He knows the pain of loss enough now," Jin Ling calmly replied, stepping out into the yard where the others waited.

Nie Huaisang and the others remaining tapped Wei Wuxian's shoulder, pleading him to not do 'anything stupid'. When all were gone, Wei Ying turned to Lan Zhan.

Lan Zhan gulped.

"A-Ying... why do you want us to leave?"

"Demonic energy handling. Don't want you guys hurt. You're all too weak for it," he flipped his hair with a laugh. Seeing Lan Zhan still frowning, Wei Wuxian chuckled and hugged him. "Fuddy-duddy. You'll get wrinkles."

Blinking out of confusion, Lan Zhan hummed a "Mn?"

"Husband, I'll be fine. All four of us will."

Husband... husband... of course. So Wei Ying remembered. The core-binding, their promise... he remembered it all. He won't do it this time. Good. Great. Excellent. Nodding to himself, Lan Zhan squeezed the air out of Wei Wuxian's lungs with a crushing hug and shuffled out of the hall.

"Don't forget, darling! You have your own task outside!" He could hear Wei Wuxian shouting as the door slid shut behind him.

Lan Wangji half-smiled to himself and walked into the yard.

"Father?" Jingyi scurried up to him.

Lan Zhan shook his head. "Let him finish it."

Jaws dropped low in shock. "You're... actually okay with it?" Cangse Sanren asked.

"Good. You finally understand him," Baoshan grinned and patted his shoulder. "Wangji Sanren, your husband isn't a dumb idiot. He knows just how to keep himself safe when he wants to. Like right now. He won't dare try to leave you again."

"Mn," Lan Zhan nodded. "Actually, Grandma... he never did."

"That's my boy," Baoshan beamed. "Well, what's the task he gave you?"

Lan Wangji looked around. "Gather close."

The group looked at each other and stepped closer.

Whooooosh! With a wide wave of his hand, Lan Zhan set up a barrier in a flash, a perfect dome cocooning them. Safe and secure.

Minutes passed by as they waited for something to happen. Weak from the sudden shock she had received, Jiang Meilien had no way of remaining standing. Jin Ling caught her just in time as she collapsed to the ground.

"Dammit, we didn't wrap her finger in something. She's still little, a deep cut like that... look at all the blood," Yunxi pointed to the trail of blood from the doorstep to where she stood.

"And fainting would be out of all the shock," Wen Ning sighed. "Shall I quickly take her to a room?"

"Take her to where Lan Qiang is with little Mingxia. And you stay there, take care of the them," Yunxi suggested.

"Mn," Lan Zhan gave consent.

Wen Ning bent down and picked Meilien up from Jin Ling's arms.

SCREEEEEEEECH!