25: Strictest Punishment

Golden eyes yawned open to find themselves staring up at the Jingshi's ceiling.

Huh? I... Wasn't I in a forest?

Lan Wangji slowly sat up and tried to prop himself up on his hands to find a searing pain shoot up his arm. Ah right, the cut... he looked down to find himself entirely bare from his waist upwards, arm wrapped up in a neat bandage.

So neat you didn't need expertise to guess it was Wen Ning's doing.

Frowning in befuddlement, he scooted backwards to rest his back against the pillow and looked around.

Wei Wuxian sat at the table, reading a book, legs crossed and placed up across the table, casually sipping a jar of wine while he read.

"A-Ying?"

Wei Wuxian looked up from the book. Placing it aside, he downed the remnants in the wine jar, swiped the back of his palm along his mouth, and walked forth towards the bed. He sat on the edge, grabbed Lan Zhan's hand and raised his arm up and down, eyebrow raised in a silent question.

"Mn, I'm good. Doesn't pain."

Nodding, Wei Ying threw aside the blanket to point to Lan Zhan's similarly bandaged leg.

"That's fine too– pains a little," he groaned through gritted teeth, when Wei Wuxian barely touched the dressing. Smirking, Wei Ying covered him up, legs and chest, in the blanket, before walking away, tossing the door open and finally opening his sealed mouth. "Lan Hao!" He waved to a boy running around in the distance.

"Master Wei?" Lan Hao hopped up to him and smiled in relief when he saw Lan Wangji sitting up. "Oh, Hanguang-Jun's recovered."

"Go get Wen Ning. Or Yuanhua. Whoever's there. Just to check on him."

"Sure," Lan Hao bowed and walked off again.

Wei Wuxian walked back into the room and sat at the table again, legs crossed, fingertips placed together, waiting.

Lan Wangji was waiting, too. "A-Ying?"

Irrevocable ignorance.

"A-Ying... is this the 'declaring war' you mentioned?"

Not even a nod; silence was the perfect 'yes' on its own.

"A-Ying... I had a concussion, so I lost control... I wouldn't be injured otherwise..."

Wei Wuxian's clasped hands curled up into fists and his head shot up to meet his eyes at the word 'concussion'. Fiery panic ablaze in his eyes, he began pacing up and down the room, impatient.

Lan Yuanhua walked into the room and nodded to them. "How's the situation?"

Wei Wuxian ran to him. "Yuanhua, he just said he had a concussion!"

"Ah?" Lan Yuanhua quickly sat on the bed and checked on Lan Zhan for a while before shaking his head. "He slept for six hours, the effects have worn off. Master Wei," Yuanhua smiled reassuringly. "Your husband is stronger than you fear, so don't worry."

"Which must be why I had to rely on Xiangxiang to save his neck, hmph!" Wei Wuxian crossed his arms and stomped out of the room, waiting outside in the garden for Yuanhua to finish renewing the dressings and checking one last time.

Xiangxiang? Young Mistress Xiao saved me? When?

While Yuanhua wrapped fresh white cloth around his arm and leg, he pondered over the battle. Presence. I did sense a presence... but I recognised it as a threat... right, she's a demoness. Of course, my energy would see her as a threat. But she was there right from the start? Lan Zhan understood what happened and smiled softly.