Rules Are Just A Suggestion Chp. 10

Jordyn and I walked into the salon and up to a girl with bleach blonde hair. "What can I do for you girls?"

     "My mom made an appointment for three." I spoke.

     "Last name?"

    "Wright."

    The girl brought her French-tip manicured nails up to the keyboard and started typing at a miraculous speed. My mom came in from parking the car.

     The blonde popped her pink bubble gum and said dully. "Two homecoming specials and one full make-over?"

     "That would be us." My mom said with a broad smile on her face.

    Things were going great. I have been dating Max for three weeks now. Today is homecoming and Jordyn had her own date, his name is Hunter, her dance partner. They aren't official, yet, but they will be. I was proud of her. Things were even looking bright for my mom. She had a date with some mysterious man that she wouldn't tell me about because she didn’t want to ‘jinx’ it.

    As for Mr. Jameson and myself, we're not really talking. The only time he says a word to me, is when he's telling me what I am doing wrong in my driving and to yell at me saying that I am messing up in my dancing. So basically he’ll pick out all of my flaws and give negative comments.

    Ah, the dance team. We're doing amazing. We finally danced in front of the school at the homecoming pep rally yesterday. I think we killed it. Mr. Jameson doesn't think so. He says we could have been better. So he intensified the work-out for the next song. For some reason, I feel like it has something to do with me.

     I was brought out of my thoughts by the blonde chick leading me and the other girls to a section of the packed salon. It was mostly teens in the salon, except for the old lady's that look about half dead under the hair dryers. Then there was my middle-aged mom. To most people she would stick out like a sore thumb, but to me she blended in. She acted like one of the girls and that is how I saw her.

     "So what color is your dress?" The lady doing my pedicure asked.

     "It’s black with green swirly designs on it."

     She nodded and picked out seven different green shades of finger nail polish. She held them up for me to choose which color most resembles the green in my dress. I pointed to the brightest green she held in her hands; the neon green. She started painting my toe nails as my phone started vibrating in my pocket. I pulled out to find Max had just sent a text message to me; ‘My mom wants to take homecoming pictures to night at my place.’

     I sighed and replied back with: ‘You know I hate having my picture taken. Can't she just take pictures of you?’

     I placed my phone on the magazine stand beside me.

     "Is that your boo?" my mom asked.

     I laughed. "Yes, he wants me to..." my phone cut me off.

     ‘The picture won't look as good if you're not in it.’

     I blushed slightly, even if he wasn't right in front of me. "Yes, it’s Max we're taking pictures at his house tonight."

     ‘Alright my mom will bring me over and we can take them all at once.’ I replied.

~*~

     Finally the pictures were over. I could have sworn that I was going to go blind with all the flashes around us. Jordyn, her mom, and her date, Hunter, even showed up for pictures. Max opened the passenger seat of his dark blue Pontiac and helped me out like a gentleman. I had to admit that Max was looking good in his black pants and white shirt covered with an unbuttoned black tuxedo jacket.

     Max intertwined our fingers together and entered the gymnasium where homecoming was being held. Max handed them our tickets and we headed in.

     For homecoming being in the gym, it looked amazing. The room was being lit with candles on the walls and a little from the light bulbs in the ceiling. It was designed to be Caesar’s Palace. Gold columns stood in the middle, where people were taking pictures. The DJ was on the stage and right below him was the punch bowl. But believe me, I was not too concerned about the punch being spiked with alcohol because on either side of the DJ, were the chaperones. Five on either side, my eyes connected with the very last one on the left. Mr. Jameson.