Rules Are Just A Suggestion Chp. 23

I sat next to Max on a vacant swing. It was quiet for about three long minutes. When I was about to say something to break the awkward silence, Max beat me to it. "Why did you do it?"

     "Do what?"

     He looked at me for the first time since I've been here. "You didn't seem like a girl that would cheat." His voice was soft and full of hurt.

     Cheat. The way he put it, it seemed so... bad. Okay, so maybe it is a bad thing. I just never really looked at it like that. "Max, I-"

     "Just stop. You don't understand what it felt like when I saw you with Mr. Jameson. A coach. A damn teacher. That does a lot to a guy, ya know. What would people think if they found out that my own girlfriend cheated on me with my coach?"

     "I know it doesn't mean anything right now, but I am sorry." Tears started to form in my eyes.

     Max looked at me. "I loved you."

     I swallowed a lump in my throat. He loved me? "Max, look."

     He held his hand up to stop me. "Let me finish. I loved you more than anything. I was planning to tell you after the final round of the tournament. I wanted it to be special. Then I saw you and Jameson..."

     I leaned forward wanting to know when he saw Mr. Jameson and I. He didn't continue. "How did you find out?"

     "I got suspicious when I found out that he drove you up to the tournament. I calmed down by telling myself that it was nothing, I mean he was our teacher, it was almost impossible." He seemed to hesitate. "Then, one night I went to get ice from the ice machine in the hall and saw you. I was going to call your name, but Mr. Jameson opened his door and called you into his room, first."

     I bit my lip, remembering that night. "What are you going to do?"

     "What do you mean?"

     I held in a breath. "Are you going to tell?"

     "I don't see a reason not to." I held my head low and started to walk away, my heart pounding with freight. I didn't want to hear any more of it. "...But I won't because you seem to really like him. As much as it hurts to let you go, I just want you to be happy." Can this guy make me feel any worse? "I love you.”

     Yep. "I love you, too, as a friend."

     He smiled at me for the first time in a long while. "And I’ll learn to be okay with that."

     I mocked his smile and gave him a hug. "I really appreciate this."

     "You owe me."

     I laughed. "Yeah, I know. I owe you big."

~*~

     I started the car the next afternoon and turned to Mr. Jameson. "I talked to Max last night."

     "And..."

     I smiled. "He promised he wouldn't tell.” I put the car in reverse and made my way out of the parking lot.

     "Robyn, listen-"

     I stopped at a stop sign. "Mr. Jameson, don't give me this talk again. We both know that we can't stay apart. Why can't you just accept it?"

     "Robyn, it’s not that I don't want you, its just-"

     "Stop! I just talked to Max and he's not going to tell."

     "Robyn! Listen to me!"

     "No! You're not making sense!"

     "Because, you won't let me finish!" He yelled at me. "I'm moving."

     At this time, we were in the middle of the street. "What?" I said it so soft, that I barely heard myself.

     "I was offered a job in Illinois and I'm taking it."