Rules Are Just A Suggestion Chp. 18

"I'm still totally psyched that you were able to make it." Jordyn said as we walked the hall of the hotel. We skipped the elevators since everyone wanted to ride on them, and Jordyn is certain that if we got on with them the weight capacity will be exceeded then we would all fall to our deaths.

     "Yeah, me too." I tried to sound enthusiastic, but Mr. Jameson was still on my thoughts.

     "Here," She handed me a plastic card. "So you could get into the room too. I think Mia already got one. I can't believe we got paired up with her, you know she sat by Max on the bus?"

     "Me too."

     "Are you okay?"

     I shook my head a little and stared at her, "Yeah, why?"

     "You seem a little spaced out." I could see she was looking at me in the corner of my eye. I didn’t want to make eye contact with her knowing all too well that it would cause me to spell my guts about everything in the middle of the hallway.

     I took in a deep breath and smiled at her. "It’s just this whole tournament is kind of making me really nervous."

     She put an arm around my waist for a half hug. "We all are, Robbie. Now come on, let’s go check out our room!"

     The hotel room was nice. Each of us had our own full-sized bed dressed in a gold comforter and white pillows with gold accents, a nice bathroom, that Mia went to occupy for a quick shower before heading to the bus, a tiny kitchen with a fridge, two-burner stove, and a commercial microwave, a plasma screen TV sat on top of a dresser with enough drawers for Mia, Jordyn, and I to fit all our weekend clothes in, if we were going to stay long enough too.

     "So how are you and the coach getting-"

     "Ssshhhhh!" I waved my hands in front of Jordyn's face, probably looking like a mad woman. "God, Jordyn!"

     "Oh calm down." She shoved my hands out of the way. "Mia is showering, she can't hear us."

     "I don't care what if they have cameras in the room or something. Maybe Mia isn’t in the shower and secretly listening to our conversation. You never know, Jordyn. You just don’t."

     "Seriously, Robyn?" She cocked an eyebrow at me.

     "I am!" I was beginning to get frustrated. I know she doesn’t know what it’s like, and probably enjoys herself knowing that she knows the juiciest gossip that no one in the school will, hopefully, never know. "You just can't blurt out my relationship with Mr. Jameson out loud like that."

     "You just did."

     "Shut up!"

     "Alright, sorry." She gave me a concerned look. "You okay, though? You've been kind of stiff since practice." She sat down on the middle bed, messing up the perfect image it once contained.

     I sighed and closed my eyes. "I told you, this tournament is making me all nervous."

     "You usually get excited with competition." She crossed her arms over her chest. "C'mon Robyn, there's more to it."

     There was no point in ignoring her, I flopped onto the bed next to her and stared at the ceiling. The swirls were almost hypnotizing, but I shook my head and kept my eyes closed. "It’s Mr. Jameson. I think he's mad at me of something."

     "Why do you think that?"

     "Well after practice, you know how I stood behind, Mr. Jameson and I were," I looked up at her. "Don't take this disgustingly or weird, but we were making out on the stage," I blushed while she stifled a laugh. "And his hands were kind of up my shirt and it seemed like he was enjoying himself -I know I was- but he suddenly pulled away and he had this angry look on his face." The facial expression that appeared on his face was all I could see in the ceiling.

     Jordyn was staring at me, mouth wide open. "He was feeling up on you!?"

     Out of that, of course that is what she would focus more on. "Why do you have to say it like that?"

     "'Cause that's exactly what he was doing!"

     "Then, yes Jordyn." I rolled my eyes. "He was feeling up on me." It sounded so inappropriate coming out of my mouth.

     "Oh my, God."

     "That's not the point, though. I want to know why he looked so angry."

     She shook her head. "Beats me, all I can think about is that he's probably under a lot of stress from this whole dance competition."

     "I don't think so; he was pretty excited about it earlier." I sighed loudly and clunked down on the bed. "What if he thinks this whole relationship is all wrong?" At the thought I flipped over and buried my head in the pillow and let out a muffled scream.

     I felt the bed shift as she turned around and Jordyn's hand patting my back. "Maybe because the whole relationship is wrong.” I gave her a stern look, but she just shrugged it off. “Look, if it’s bothering you so much, why don't you just go ask him what's up?"

     I shook my head in the covers. "No way! What if I'm right?"

     The door to the bathroom opened that exact moment. I was so caught up in the moment that I didn’t even hear the shower cut off. "Can I borrow one of your guy's hair brushes?" Mia asked. "I forgot mine at home."

     "Yeah, mine is on top of the windowsill by the desk." Jordyn told her, then to me, softly in my ear. "There's only one way to find out."