Rules Are Just A Suggestion Chp. 21

The next day I jumped out of the shower and heard a pounding on the door. I threw on my black sweatpants when I heard Jordyn answer it with a, "Yes?"

     I threw on my baby blue Abercrombie and Fitch shirt and brushed through my wet hair when Ms. Conner said. "Where's Robyn Wright?"

     I stepped out of the bathroom. "Right here."

     Ms. Conner came into the room. "One of the cameras in the hall caught you going to Mr. Jameson's hotel room around three thirty in the morning and did not come out for almost an hour later, looking rather flustered." She crossed her arms. "Would you like to tell me what you were doing in there?"

     I stared at her, mouth partly open and eyes wide in shock. My heart was beating faster and faster with every pulse, "Um..."

     "She was sick." Mr. Jameson appeared in the doorway. I was grateful, because under all the pressure of that moment, I could not, for the life of me, think of anything. "She came to me because her stomach was upset. When I was about to find something to give her, she began throwing up so I had her stay in my room until she was well enough to leave." He said it with no doubts. If I hadn’t of known it was a lie, myself, I almost would have believed it.

     “Why didn’t you call me? I am a chaperone as well. It’s my duty to take care of these students too.”

     Mr. Jameson simply shrugged. “It was unnecessary. She was sick and I took care of it. It would have been pointless to wake you up at three-thirty just for you to sit there and listen to her vomit.”

     Ms. Conner looked between me and Mr. Jameson. "Very well," She walked out.

     I was about to give Mr. Jameson a grateful look, but he was already gone.

     I closed the door, turned around, and literally ran right into Jordyn. She seemed unfazed. Giving her an innocent look, I asked. "What?" I walked passed her and sat cross-legged on my bed.

     "Don't act all cute and innocent. Why were you in Mr. Jameson's room?"

     I shrugged. "I was sick. Didn't you hear Ti- Mr. Jameson say that?"

     "Robyn, I may have been born at night, but it wasn’t last night." I felt like bringing the argument that she was actually born early in the morning, but thought it as a waste of time. She sat across from me. "What were you doing in there?"

     I took in a deep breath, knowing I would have told her the whole story anyway even without her persuasions. "Alright, you better get comfortable."

~*~

     "Come on guys we have to get this down, perfectly." Mr. Jameson said later that day at practice.

     "Man, we've been at this for three and a half hours, can't we have a break?" Max asked.

     Mr. Jameson turned the music off. "Take a break? You, of all people, are the one that needs the most practice. You are late on all of your moves and you're slowing down the rest of the squad. Poor Robyn has to make up for it!”

     I felt Max tense up beside me. "Oh yeah?" He started to walk towards him. I pulled his arm back. "No, stop. I don't need this." He yanked his arm out of my grip and approached Mr. Jameson. Max said something to him that was inaudible to everyone else in the room. I saw Mr. Jameson shoot me a glance, before following Max out of the auditorium. I looked over at Jordyn before running to the door and trying to listen.

     The whole squad stood behind me, trying to listen as well. My ear was pressed to the door, but that didn't help at all. I dropped slowly to my knees and turned the knob quietly. Pulling the door slightly ajar, I peered through.

     Mr. Jameson was standing in front of Max, with his back to the door. Max was about two inches shorter than him. I saw Max's eyes flicker towards us and his eyes narrowed. Then I heard him say. "We'll finish this later."

     Mr. Jameson slowly turned around and faced the door. His look was an angered one. He said something inaudible towards Max and started walking towards us, while Max walked heading the opposite way near the elevators. The squad made their way back to the stage, but I stayed in place. Mr. Jameson looked at me and said two words that I could have lived without hearing. "He knows."