Rules Are Just A Suggestion Chp. 7

"Today we are going to take a drive in the country." Mr. Jameson said to me, as I started driving out of the parking lot.

    I turned onto Washington Street, the street that began the country roads.

    The car was silent. Too silent. The only thing that was to be heard was the quiet talking from the radio and the wheels on the road. The silence had to be broken.

    "How far into the country are we going?" I asked.

    He looked at me with a smile playing on his face. "As far as I tell you to go."

    I rolled my eyes at his comment, but continued driving. I let one hand off the wheel to turn the radio up because it was giving 'Shooting Star'. "Put your hand back on the wheel." He instructed.

    I did as I was told and quickly placed my hand back on the wheel. "Sorry."

    He smiled, but his voice was firm. "Always keep both hands on the wheel, please."

    I nodded and focused on the road, feeling very stupid.

    "I like this song." Mr. Jameson said as if trying to lighten the mood.

    I laughed. "You listen to LMFAO?"

    From the corner of my eye I saw Mr. Jameson turn to face me. "Is that what they're called?"

    I turned to make eye contact with him, "Yeah, you never heard of them?" He kept my gaze for a few seconds.

    Just as he was about to answer, his eyes shot back to the road and yelled. "Look out!"

    My immediate reaction, just like any other situation for me, was putting my hands in the air and screaming, "Oh my god!"

    "Don't let go of the steering wheel!" He yelled as he reached over to grab it himself.        

    I looked at the road and saw a black Range Rover veering from side to side starting to slow down. It looks like from my perspective that he was trying to reach something he had dropped.

    Mr. Jameson had pushed the steering wheel to the side of the road. My foot was still on the gas pedal, when we both heard a loud pop.

     "Brake!" He yelled.

    I moved my right foot from the gas to the brake. My hands found their way back to the wheel, my arms locked parallel from each other as the three good wheels screamed against the pavement. We came to a complete stop on the street, in the middle of nowhere.

    Mr. Jameson had let go of the wheel and leaned back in his seat, out of breath.

    "I am so sorry. It's just you freaked-"

    He cut me off. "Don't worry about it. Let's just go check the damage."

    He got out of the car and I just watched him. I was too scared to get out. I felt terrible. No one was hurt, besides the car, the car that belonged to the school and the one that I would probably have to pay to get fixed.

    I finally got out of the car and saw him looking at the tire on the driver's side. There was one huge gash on the top of the tire

    I ran my hand through my hair, trying to calm myself down. "I am so sorry." I kept repeating it over and over again. I didn't know what else to say at this point. I buried my face into my hands and held my tears in, still apologizing.

    First, I heard Mr. Jameson walk over to me. Then, I felt him encircle me in his arms. "Robyn, calm down. It's alright." His left hand started combing through my hair in a relaxing manner.

    I soon felt his lips on top of my head. I pulled my face out of his chest and looked up at him. He was staring at me with his chocolate brown eyes. I bit my lower lip as he lowered his head. Before I knew it, we were kissing.

    It was one of the best kisses I had. It was the only one I really had. Unless you count the one from first grade with Robert, but after words he spit and said 'ew girl coodies!' Like I said, I was an outcast in New York.

    As we were kissing, I nibbled on his lower lip. I felt him pull me closer, but just as fast as he did, he pushed me away. I stumbled back a few inches before catching my balance against the car.

    "We shouldn't be... I shouldn't have... This can't happen." He said more to himself.

    I was kind of disappointed. "Yeah, you're right. Let’s just fix the car and get back to school. Let me see your cell phone." His eyes traveled everywhere but at me. "You don't have yours with you, do you?"

    "Aren't you the teenager? Shouldn't you have a cell phone on you twenty-four seven?"

    "I left it in my book bag at the school. I don’t use it during class so I won’t get it taken away."

    He dug his hands in his hoodie. "Guess we're going to have to walk."

    I sighed and started walking down the long street. This is going to suck.