Chapter 9

Evie's P.O.V.

It is easy for us to lose hope and see the future in pitch black when we hit rock bottom. In my perspective, hitting rock bottom is a good thing. One reason for that is because once you reach the deepest part of the pit, there's no other way to go but up. Aside from that, it will make you so much stronger than before. Like a phoenix, you'll rise from the ashes with a renewed strength. A new you, a much stronger and wiser version of yourself.

My fingers stroke my locks in frustration while looking at the finances of the cheese factory and winery. I've been gone for more than three weeks, and that three weeks is more than enough for our business to crash. Few investors suddenly pull out without valid explanation, and the sales fluctuate by almost fifty percent. It is highly unusual considering that we are nearing the holiday season.

"This is bad." I bite my inner cheeks while looking at the reports on the screen of my laptop.

"It is. Few of the biggest marketplace that used to sell our products said that they still have stocks of our products and the sales went down for it so they cannot accept any deliveries until further notice." Lydia said and let out a sigh of frustration. I can feel her distress despite looking so classy and elegant in her white floral dress. "It is as if someone is sabotaging us."

Isang sarkastikong ngisi ang gumuhit sa labi ko sa sinabi nito. We are being sabotaged, alright. Some motherfucker decided to mess up with our business. Since I am away, I wasn't able to talk directly to the investors to stop them or at least get a valid explanation.

Humigpit ang pagkakahawak ko sa ballpen na nasa kamay ko. I still can't believe I fall for his trick. The son of a bitch played the game so well and so dirty that I wasn't able to see the real motive behind his actions.

"We need to inform Jacob about this. I'm sure Ezio and Clara will be a big help." Lydia suggested, making me raise my gaze to meet hers.

"No need. It is my fault that this happened. I'll fix this myself." Sagot ko rito saka tumayo mula sa swivel chair. I grab my leather vest from the rack and put it on before making my way towards the door. "I'm gonna call out a meeting for the boards. If worst comes to worst, I'll ask Ezio for help, but for now, let me try if there's something I can do about it."

Lydia nods at me and smile. Somehow I felt guilty for what is happening. It's not even more than a year since she let us handle the family business, yet it is already crashing. Thanks to my poor excuse of a mate.

I smile at her and nod before walking out of the office. Lydia might not be our real mother, but she's the closest to one for me and my brother. She earned my respect, and there's no way I am letting her down.

At this point, the wisest thing to do is ask for Ezio's help. The house of Auditore will not hesitate to lend a hand and invest in our business. However, doing that will raise suspicion, and there's a big chance that my brother will get involved in this, and I can't allow that to happen. Someone is blocking our product and preventing it from reaching the biggest grocery chains in the market.

My brother is smart. It is not going to be this hard for him to put two and two together and conclude that someone is playing dirty with our business. If that happens, Creed will be involved, and from dirty, it's going to be bloody.

My mate is probably an asshole and a controlling prick, but he is still my mate. The Creed is dangerous. Altair won't care if the son of a bitch is a royal or a billionaire. They will send someone to finish the job. That is something that I cannot allow to happen. I hate Henry, but I don't hate him to the point that I want him dead.

Humigpit ang pagkakahawak ko sa manibela ng sasakyan. I am meeting potential investors, and I am trying to make connections with other grocery chains in the country since the biggest one seems not so fond of accepting our products, telling us that they are still full in stock. Inis na sinuntok ko ang manibela ng sasakyan. I'm not buying their reason for it. Our brand is selling like pancakes and is one of the most common household commodities all over the country and overseas. Our products are trusted and gained multiple awards in the past years, and it is closing to the holiday season, which is the time of the year where most consumers are in need of wine and cheese.

Henry did us a good damage, and the fact that I am actually getting all cosy with him in his estate while all of this is happening irks me to the core. I can't believe I allow the man to get the best of me while he is busy sabotaging our cheesy and winery business behind our back. That lowlife prick. I want to kick his balls and put them in a target block for a practice shooting.

I can't believe I've fallen deep into his trap. I am stupid.

The meeting took so long to be completed, but luckily, I managed to convince them to invest. Since most of the local grocery chains and malls won't accept our products, our best option is to establish our brand on the online platform. It is something that we should have done before, but I didn't really think of it until today.

With our products being a well known trusted brand and scattered all over the country in thousands of grocery stores, it is not really that hard for us to get our wines and cheese to the consumers' table. But now, this happened. That freaking count with the most attractive piercing green eyes I've ever seen happened.

Malalim na ang gabi ng makabalik ako sa opisina. There's a room in it where I can sleep during the days like these where job is tedious. I don't really wanna go back to my penthouse, and the office is much closer, so I figure it will be so much better to stay in here instead.

I throw my vest to the couch and slump down on my chair. My head is aching, and I feel so tired. Hinilot ko ang sentido ko at saka saglit na ipinikit ang mga mata ko. The day took so much longer than expected that it brought me to complete exhaustion.

Nang buksan ko ang mga mata ko ay isang munting envelope na nakapatong sa mesa ang umagaw ng atensyon ko. My forehead creases in confusion as I pick it up from the table. Only to puff an irritated sigh when I read that it is an invitation to a charity ball arranged by a big time senator.

Having a charity ball sounds good to the public, but the truth is, it is just a front. A good way for billionaires to appear like a philanthropist while avoiding federal taxes. It's like hitting two birds in one stone. Napailing na lang ako habang nakatitig sa invitation card. I hate parties like this, but I know better than not to make an appearance. Also, I am quite sure that my mate will be there as well. 

A wicked smile makes it to my lips. I wish he's ready to meet me again because he has a huge amount to pay for damaging my cheesy business.