Chapter 8

Evie's P.O.V.

A bitter smile crept into my lips while looking at the text exchanges he had with someone named Rico to my mate. I bite my inner lips while looking at his peaceful state, so deep in his slumber that he had no idea that I managed to get to his phone. I know I wouldn't be able to force him to let me go, and I don't know what the deal is with the Creed and why none of them has come to my rescue yet. All of my brothers have probably assumed that I can do this on my own.

Fuck them! And fuck this man beside me!

Ibinalik ko sa bedside table ang cellphone nito at walang pakialam sa kahubdan na tumayo mula sa kama. When I agreed to stay with him for a little while, I was fully aware that it was just temporary. I accepted that fact and flipped my middle finger to the world, allowing myself to fall into the spiral of lust and desire while being completely aware that we are set to separate paths sooner or later.

I walk towards the bathroom and turn on the shower to cleanse my body, letting my tear fall into my cheeks in silence. I felt so guilty before at the thought that I was set to leave him after all this, and I'm in constant fear that I might end up hurting my mate beyond repair. But I was wrong. For him, this is all a game. And just when I thought I am in control, Henry slapped me with a dreadful reality. It turns out that I am the one who's being played like a marionette, his marionette. Someone he can control using invisible strings. Strings that I refused to notice because I am way too drunk in lust and his pretend obsession to see anything further than that.

Napasandal ako sa pader at saka tahimik na humikbi. Why I didn't notice it? He's too good to be true, and I, of all people, should be aware that if something is too good to be true, then it is because it isn't. A fool's gold. And I am stupid for falling into it.

My palm reaches to my chest, clutching it so tightly to the point of drawing blood from it, but I don't care. My inside is in turmoil. I feel like someone clawed my chest, pulled my heart out before throwing it in the ground and stomped on it, destroying it into pieces. I need to divert the pain, or else I might end up losing it completely.

There's a lump in my throat that makes it so hard to breathe. Pinilit ko ang lumunok upang alisin ang pait na nakabara sa lalamunan ko. I have no one to blame but myself. Henry didn't force me to fall for him. It is my stubborn heart's fault for falling into someone we barely knew.

After crying my heart out in the bathroom, I make my way to the closet to find something to wear. Instead of choosing from countless dresses that my mate bought for me, I decided to get to his wardrobe and take the smallest shirt that I could find. I pair it with denim pants and grab my vest to put it on top of the shirt.

I look at myself in the giant mirror. The woman in front of me looks familiar, yet she feels completely different. Her eyes spark with unshed tears in them. She looks broken. Far from the strong, badass biker her brothers are used to.

Lumabas ako sa closet at saka saglit na tinapunan ng tingin ang aking mate na nahihimbing pa din sa pagtulog. I walk towards him in careful steps, making sure that I don't disturb a speck of dust in the carpeted floor of the room. A room that became so familiar to me. The last thing I want is for Henry to wake up.

The back of my hand caresses his left cheek as I lean down to brush my lips to his. One last kiss, before all the demons I kept hidden break loose.

"It was fun 'til it lasted..." I whispered close to his lips, scenting his addicting minty breath for one last time.

Malungkot akong napangiti. The urge to go back inside his arms and feel his comforting warmth all over my body is so hard to fight off. But I know better than to allow my weakness to rule over me.

There's a part of me that wishes I knew nothing about his charades. It's less painful that way. If I didn't know any better, staying inside his wings feels so right. Unfortunately, the mask falls off, so is his facade. The messages I've read are like granules of rock salt being rub in an infected wound to the point of numbness.

Huminga ako ng malalim at saka pinilit na alisin ang pait sa dibdib ko. Whatever it is that I feel for him, I need to destroy it. It would be stupid for me to feel this way knowing that he is sought to ruin me in the end.

Umayos ako ng tayo at saka tinawid ang distansiya ko sa pinto. Every step I take away from him feels like a dagger being stab through my chest. My wolf howls in pain, demanding for me to wait for our mate to wake up and explain himself. The animal inside of me couldn't understand what's happening. All it knows is that it wants to be with its mate. Our mate.

My mind wanders on the short time we've spent together. During those times, he feels real and sincere. I never thought that aside from being royal and a billionaire, the man is also a good actor. He played me so well that I didn't even see it coming.

The crisp winter wind greets me the moment I am out of the mansion. The night wind feels oddly comforting, easing the pain in my chest and making me breathe even if I know it is just a temporary relief.

I make my way to the garage where I saw a vintage model of Harley Davidson a few days ago. I was able to get the key from Henry's butler yesterday, or rather it is more accurate to say that I was able to steal the key from his butler yesterday.

Sumakay ako sa bike at saka saglit pang tinapunan ng tingin ang mansion sa harap ko. It is a golden cage, a very expensive one, but still a cage nonetheless. I take a deep breath to clear my lungs before forcing myself to insert the key and turns on the engine. The bike roars against the solemn silence of the night like a thunder bellowing during the calm right before the storm.

I let out a heave before turning my gaze on the road before me. Everything that happened in this place remains in this place. This will be a sanctuary. A sacred place where I was able to fall without worry, only to land harshly in the ground and break into little pieces in the end.