Chapter 17

Henry's P.O.V.

The sound of the beeping machine is enough to make me feel suffocated. The scent of alcohol and antiseptics are filling my nose. I take a step towards her in few long strides, taking in her whole appearance. Napalunok ako kasabay ng pagkuyom ng aking kamao.

There are some bruises and scratches even on her beautiful face. I can only imagine that pain she'd been through. It is a pure miracle that she survived the crash.

I take a seat on the chair beside hers and reach out for her hand. She hit her head so hard that the doctor needed to put her in a medically induced coma to treat the swelling. The doctor said she's out of danger now, including our child. However, it might take a while before she wakes up, given the damage that needs to heal.

"Who did this to you, sweetheart?" Mahinang tanong ko rito kasabay ng paglapat ng labi ko sa likod ng palad niya. "They are going to pay, I promise."

The steady beeping sound coming from the machine is the only thing that's keeping me sane at the moment. I'm raging with anger, but I cannot lose my shit to just random people. We need to know who's behind the attack.

Jacob and Ezio are making their own investigation. And the worst part is I am one of their suspects. I can't blame them for that. They have all the rights to be one of their suspects, given that Evie was attacked after she left one of the malls I owned.

If I knew that time that this would happen, I should have trapped her with me. I shouldn't have allowed her to leave. She'll probably hate me and break one of my limbs if I did that, but at least she's safe.

I place another kiss on her hand, feeling its warmness against my skin. An indication that even if she looks pale at the moment, her heart is still beating. She's fighting death, like a brave fighter she was.

Nasa ganoon akong position ng marinig ko ang pagbukas ng pinto. Lydia enter the room with a basket full of fruits in her hand. Saglit nitong tinitigan si Evie kasunod ng isang malalim na buntong-hininga. Humakbang ito patungo sa bedside table at inilagak ang basket na dala niya roon.

"How is she?" Tanong nito sa akin.

"Doctor said she's out of danger. But they might need to put her out until the swelling is all healed. She's a strong woman." Inilapag ko ang kamay ni Evie sa kama saka umangat ang tingin ko kay Lydia. "Do you happened to know anyone who can probably do this to her?"

Lydia crosses her arms in front of her chest and lets out a defeated sigh.

"She's part of a biker's club, Henry. She has a lot of enemies. But I don't know anyone who could be possible be that crazy enough to attack her in public in broad daylight." She replied, and her eyes focused on me. "She went to your office before it happened, you didn't notice anything, or she didn't tell you anything?"

I flinch at her question even though I cannot sense any kind of accusation in her tone. I can't really blame them for thinking that I take part in the incident. After my attempts of destroying the winery, I know I am in the hotspot.

Umiling ako rito. "No, she didn't come to talk to me. She visited my mother."

Tumango-tango si Lydia sa sinabi ko. Pagkuway kumunot ang noo nito.

"She came to visit your mother?" She repeated with a frown.

"Yeah, why?"

Lydia takes a quick look at the door, a simple gesture that didn't go unnoticed to me.

"Evie is investigating for the death of your father. She wanted to prove that it isn't my husband's fault." Wika nito dahilan upang kumunot ang noo ko. "I gave her the key to my husband's office. I'm not sure if she managed to find anything. But if she did, that's probably that reason why she paid a visit to your mother."

Pakiramdam ko ay nabuhusan ako ng malamig na tubig sa sinabi nito.

"Shit!" I hissed under my breath. If that is true, there's a possibility that those people that tried to kill her has connections to my father's death. Saglit akong napaisip. "When did she start the investigation?"

"Just that morning before she left. Why? Do you think there is a connection?"

"There's a huge possibility that there is. However, ain't it too fast? She only started investigating that day. It's not even more than 24 hours."

"You're right on that. Unless she discovered something that might have threatened the murderer." I stand up from my chair and start to pace.

"If your conclusion is correct, then there is a possibility that the person who killed your father still works at your company, right?"

I stop pacing and turn to look at Lydia. She's right on that. And if that's the case, then fuck it! I may not be the one who sent those men after her, but it seems that I have an indirect relation to the incident. And to think that we almost lost our child in the process. Fuck!

"I need to leave." I lean down a bit towards Evie and place a kiss on her cheeks. "I'll be back, sweetheart." Mahinang bulong ko rito saka nag-angat ng tingin kay Lydia. "I'll assign security to her room. If Evie discovered something, then there's a big chance that they won't stop until she's dead. I'll make my own investigation."

Tumango si Lydia sa akin. That is my cue to leave. Ilang saglit pa ay natagpuan ko na ang sarili ko na nagmamaneho patungo sa mall. Maybe I can get a footage of who she have talked to during her visit. That might tip off the person behind my father's death as well.

Inis na nasuntok ko ang manibela. If that's true, then there's really a big chance that her father is not the one who killed mine. My mind fully believed that my godfather did it. Does this mean that I am wrong all along? Naningkit ang mga mata ko habang nakatitig sa kalsada. This mystery murder case needs to be solved, or else it will just keep on destroying the future for all of us. Something that I cannot allow, especially that I am seeing Evie cradling our child in that future.

Pagdating ko sa opisina ay agad akong nag request ng footage mula sa security. It is a good thing that the whole establishment is covered with CCTV. I specifically asked for the time when Evie entered the building and when she left.

It takes more than an hour before I receive a response from the security team. Evie entered the building carrying a box with her, been confronted by my mother's bodyguards before they guided her to my mother's office. For privacy reasons, the office itself doesn't have a camera in it. I waited for more than fifteen minutes before I saw her again getting out of the door, but this time, she no longer had the box with her. Then she bumped into me and left the building right away.

I lean on my back with a frown on my forehead while looking at the footage. A certain question starts to run around in my head.

What's in the box? I didn't see that when I entered my mother's office. I guess there's only one way to find out what's on the box, then. I need to talk to my mother.