Chapter 13

Evie's P.O.V.

"Arbaaz 'Mir' Green is a close friend of your father. Born and raised in Ailhelm, they have developed tight ties with each other. They even used to joke about having their children wed each other. However, your father never really had a daughter, so that didn't happen. He's not aware of your existence." Wika ni Lydia habang sinasalinan ng tsaa ang baso sa harap ko. "The winery is their joint business."

"What happened then?"

"During the celebration of the first year anniversary of the winery. Arbaaz Green fell dead in the middle of the celebration. We initially thought it was a heart attack." Lydia lets out a heavy sigh and takes the seat across me. "But autopsy says different. Arbaaz was poisoned, murdered right in front of everyone, but no one can tell who did it. Since it was a joint business, all the motives were pointed to your father. Many people and employees claim that your father poisoned Green so that he could take full control of the growing business. It was a dark time for the winery."

Napalunok ako sa sinabi nito. So the winery was actually owned by my father and Henry's father. Napahilot sa sentido ko. I never really met my father personally. And I did remember my uncle, Desmond, killing my younger brother for the inheritance. I mean, it seems to run in the blood.

"Did my father really do it?" Nanantiyang tanong ko rito.

Lydia shakes her head to answer my question. "He didn't. I saw firsthand how your father wept himself to death for Arbaaz. They are best of friends. Every year he would go to his grave and bring a bottle of wine to drink with him. He never missed a year. Aside from that, the cheese factory is making him millions on its own. Your father is not a greedy man, Evie. The case was dismissed due to the lack of evidence. And after that, Isobelle just let it go. Both the winery and the case."

Wala sa loob na napatango ako sa sinabi nito. I pick up the teacup to take a sip on it, feeling its leafy flavour in my tongue. If Lydia said that my father is innocent, then I believe her. The only problem is finding the evidence to back up my father's innocence.

"Is there anything there any evidence we can use to prove that my father didn't do it?"

"There's a lot and it was presented on the court." Sagot nito saka inilapag ang tasa ng tsaa niya sa isang maliit na platito. "Why are you asking me all of this, Evie? Does it have something to do with the business? Is it Henry's doing?"

Natigilan ako sa tanong nito. Ilang saglit pa ay napilitan akong tumango. There's no used in hiding it.

Napabuntong-hininga ito sa sagot ko.

"Even if you present an evidence to prove your father's innocence, Henry won't accept it. He didn't just lose a father that day. He also lost his godfather, his father's best friend. Unless you can present the murderer in front of him." Sumenyas ito sa isang butler na nakatayo malapit sa amin. "Bring us the key to my husband's old office."

The butler nods and spun on his heel. Ilang saglit pa ay bumalik ito sa bitbit ang susi. The butler place the key right in front of me.

"Your father never stop investigating for the unexpected death of his best friend. I know he's hiding some of the evidence he had gathered in his old office. You can check it. Maybe you can find something in it that will help the investigation."

Napangiti ako sa sinabi niya. I grab the key from the table and stand up from my seat. Just I am about to walk towards my old man's office when I remember one thing. I look over my shoulder and smile at Lydia.

"Thank you for this." Iwinagayway ko ang susi sa ere. "I promise to save the winery and the cheese factory. Also, I'll make sure to kick Henry's ass for you and for dad."

Lydia lets out a bright smile and nods at me. Just like that, and I am making my way towards my father's office. If my father did kill Henry's father, he has the right to be angry at us. His actions are justified. But then, my father didn't do it. I need to figure out who the murderer is and then kick my mate's ass afterwards.

Pagbukas ko ng opisina ng aking ama ay makapal na alikabok at mga furniture na nababalot ng putting tela. Isinara ko ang pinto at saka isa-isang hinila ang mga putting tela. Hindi ko maiwasan ang mapaubo ng bumalot ang mga alikabok sa ilong at lalamunan ko.

I walk towards the window and push it open, allowing the fresh air to get inside the house.

"Damn it!" I hissed under my breath upon feeling the fresh air enter my lungs again.

My mate is such a lot of trouble. And here I am thinking that our meeting in the club was purely coincidence. The fucker planned everything out for revenge. I'll be sure to have one of our prospects damage that pretty face of his once all of this is over.

After pulling out all of the drawers open and scanning all the documents, I found a wooden box that said confidential in it. Curious about what could be the content, I pull it out of the drawer and open it. Lumakas ang kabog ng dibdib ko ng makita ang pangalan ni Arbaaz 'Mir' Green sa unang folder. The anticipation is killing me as I pick up the folder from the box with a shaky hand to open it.

The first thing that came to my line of sight was the image of Arbaaz and my father making a toast. It was a stolen picture and was published by a well-known magazine in Ailhelm. It is the announcement of the success of their business venture. A strong partnership.

Wala sa loob na hinaplos ko ang litrato ng aking ama. He looks so happy in this picture. He looks like a man ready to conquer the world. By just looking at it, I know that Lydia is right. My father didn't kill Henry's father. They look so close together.

Napailing na lang ako. If my father probably knew that he had me, and if Henry's father didn't die, I could have been betrothed to my mate. Napailing na lang ako sa naisip. The world sure love to make a sick joke. Because now I am mated to my father's best friend's son.

Binuksan ko ang mga susunod na pahina ng folder at saka masusing pinagaralan ang mga nilalaman niyon. Para lang manginig sa kakaibang bumalot sa dibdib ko nang maintindihan ang nilalaman niyon. Nabitawan ko ang folder at saka napaupo sa swivel chair ng aking ama.

My father knew who the murderer was. I can feel my chest slowly breaking for my mate. I guess I can understand why my father chose not to reveal who killed his best friend to the public. A lone tear slides down to my cheek.

Makalipas ang ilang sandali ay tumayo ako mula sa upuan at saka isa-isang iniligpit ang nilalaman ng kahon at iniayos. I walk out of the office with the box in my hand not knowing what to do next. This just starts to become more complicated than it already is.