Chapter 7

Evie's P.O.V.

One of the worst feelings I'd probably encountered before is being terrified of the future. That is something that I felt when my brother's wife, Clara, was kidnapped by our uncle. I may act tough that time, but the truth is I am scared to death that we won't be able to save both of them in time. My twin brother is my best friend, and we always got each other's back. The thought of losing him opens up a hole in my chest that I know no one can fill.

That's the first time that I feel scared of the future. And now that I think about it, I think it is much more accurate to say that I am only terrified of tomorrow if I know I had no control over it. That time when Clara was kidnapped, my brother's life is at risk, and I am way too far to lend a hand.

The fear of losing control. The fear of uncertainty. I think that is something that most people can relate to.

And right now, it is something that I am currently struggling with my mate. We've been together in his estate for weeks now, and as much as I want to stay safely hidden inside his mansion, I have a responsibility to get back to. So he is. It's doesn't matter if I don't have control over our future once we get out of this little paradise. I need to leave.

My eyes narrow into as slits as I pull the trigger of the shotgun in my hand, hitting the bullseye of my target. The poor thing is almost unrecognisable with multiple shots it endured.

"Remind me not to make you angry." Wika ni Henry mula sa likuran ko.

Inilapag ko ang baril sa mesa at saka tinanggal ang suot kong gloves bago humarap rito. I'm trying to burn off some heat. I'm starting to feel agitated. I need to get in touch with my brothers soon. I'm not sure if they know that it is my mate who kidnapped me. I hope that they do because if they don't, I'm pretty sure someone is suffering right now on Henry's behalf.

"You need to bring me back to Saeree," I told him, this time with intensity in my tone.

Henry's brows furrow upon sensing the seriousness in my voice.

"What? You're not happy in here anymore?"

Ipinagkus ko ang braso ko sa tapat ng dibdib ko sa sinagot nito. I bite my inner lower lip to prevent myself from busting his pretty face. I swear to moon goddess, if this man is not my mate his nose will be broken by now.

"No, I need to go back. I have a business to run and club to inform that I'm safe." I try to make sense to him. "You can't keep me here, Henry. I have a life outside of this place."

My mate lets out a smug grin and meets my gaze as if challenging me. Then his eyes go down to my chest area that's been emphasised by my arms under them.

"Eyes up, Henry." I sneered in annoyance.

"Why? I kinda love the view here." He taunted.

I roll my eyes before letting my arms down. I close our distance and pull the collar of his shirt down for our height to match.

"Listen, Henry. Lydia must be very worried by now already, and no one is aware of what the heck happened to me. My brother could be torturing someone innocent right now trying to find me. Bring me back to Saeree." I speak each word with tenacity, trying to make him understand that I am not joking.

To my irritation, his grin only widens at me.

He reaches out for my chin with his thumb and forefinger. His eyes twinkle with a strange tinge of darkness that makes my chest skip a bit. Napalunok ako. Suddenly, the man in front of me doesn't give off the same warmth my mate has before. His thumb grazes my bottom lip with his eyes not leaving mine. Wala sa loob na nabitawan ko ang damit nito.

"No." He dips his head down until our lips are only a thread away from each other.

I can the butterflies inside my stomach go wild at his action. And just when I thought he is about to kiss me, he lets go of my chin and straightens up.

"You'll stay here until I say so. And no worries, I have someone keeping an eye on your business. And about your brother, I sent him a text through your phone before leaving Saeree. He knows you're on vacation. A long one." He turns his back on me after that, and I was left behind with pure disbelief written on my face.

Kumuyom ang kamao ko ng marealize kung anung klaseng kakolohan ang ginawa nito. He planned it out. He didn't just kidnap me, he make a lot of arrangement to keep me in here. But for what? For sex? Obsession? I don't think so.

My fingers run through my hair upon realising that I've completely underestimated my mate's capability. I guess there's one thing that I have completely disregarded. Old money often didn't come through a clean slate.

That means, one thing. My mate ain't as innocent as I initially thought he is. Kumunot ang noo ko habang nakatingin sa hagdan na inakyatan nito palabas ng basement. Seriously, what exactly is the game are we playing here?