Chapter 19

Evie's P.O.V.

Pain is something that most people avoid, but to be honest, I'm one of those who'd rather feel' the pain than numbness. Pain means to be alive, a clear sign that you are still breathing, that you can still feel. Numbness, on the other hand, is a universal sign of death. The moment you refuse to feel anything, or your body refuses to feel anything, that's when you know that you died, or there's a part of you that died.

That's why the moment I regain consciousness, feeling the pain all over my body, I know that I am safe and alive. The afterlife is probably not yet prepared for my arrival, so they decided to send me back to the living world.

My eyes flutter open, and the first thing that goes to my line of vision is that blinding light coming from the white ceiling of the room where I am in. The scent of antiseptic and alcohol lingers in my nose, an indication that I am in a hospital at the moment.

My forehead scrunches in confusion as I try to remember what happened beforehand. How did I end up in this place again?

That is when everything came crashing down right before me. The time when I confronted Isobelle, and she sent her goons after me, then the accident. Agad akong napabangon paupo mula sa kama para lang mapahawak sa noo ko ng maramdaman ng pananakit roon. The deafening sound inside my head became apparent, making me let out a hiss of irritation.

Nagbukas ang pinto ng silid at pumasok mula roon ang aking kapatid bibit ang isang basket ng prutas.

"You're awake?" My brother's eyes widen in surprise. Nabitawan nito ang hawak niyang basket at saka tinawid ang distansiya namin. Ilang saglit pa ay nakapaloob na ako sa bisig nito.

"Miss me, brother?" I taunt him and grin. The pain that I felt a while ago starts to fade as I regain my balance in the ground.

"I hate to admit it because you end up get to so cocky every time, but yeah, I do." Lumuwag ang braso nitong nakapalibot sa akin at saka sinalubong ang mga mata ko. "You have no idea how close I am to sacrifice 13 chickens and a virgin to moon goddess just to make sure that you'll live."

My grin widens at his snarky comment.

"I don't think the goddess would appreciate those." Napailing na lang ako rito.

"You never know. Desperate times calls for desperate measure."

"Or a good doctor and werewolf genes are enough to help me survive a fatal crash. No need for 13 virgins or chickens."

"I said 13 chickens." My brother corrected me.

I shrug and roll my eyes at him. "It's all the same."

My eyes land on the tube that is connected to my wrist. Feeling irritated by it, I reach out to pull it out of my skin, but my brother is quick to stop me from doing in. I turn to him with an irritated look on my face.

"What?"

"You can't do that until the doctor said so. They need to check on you first to make sure you are all right." He insists.

Kumunot ang noo ko rito.

"We are werewolves. We can heal in no time. You should know that already." I tried to make sense to him because now he is acting like a paranoid brother.

"I know, but you need to be careful. You got it so bad they need to put you in a coma for three weeks to heal the swelling in your head. Also, it is a miracle your baby survived it. So take it easy. Okay?"

Sa sinabi niyang iyon ay natigilan ako. It feels like someone drops a bomb right in front of me. My eyes automatically went down on my belly as my arms encircled it protectively.